Griswold / ERIE

CDickson

I found this griddle 908 A at a sale there was also a small pot, I left behind ?
My hands were full & when I looked up Griswold I regretted that.
i-Lq8fHDL-M.jpg

That left me looking for another this was a mess completely covered in a crust.
11 1/4 inch skillet with Griswold stamp
i-PZnXfV5-M.jpg

By this time I had found this site but still did not make the connection.
So a pan I bought at a auction twenty years ago, was left on the fence rail for a number of years until I put it on a nail in the shed many more years.
This one was also a mess covered in a crust became interesting, okay I need to clean this. Turns out to be a ERIE.
I may still use oven cleaner before treating metal to get crud that is left.
i-t3TMN7D-M.jpg

C,

IMO, that is a treasure. I lucked up and found a #9 1st series just before Christmas and it is the best skillet I have.

I have 4 #8s and the Erie is lighter than each of them. The #9 is also a "thoroughbred" with the heat. Unfortunately, we have a smooth top electric stove and I only get to cook on gas during the summer with the camp stove on the deck. I seldom find it necessary to turn the knob above 3 on the electric stove. The skillet really gets hot and stays hot, so be careful and don't walk away.

My suggestion, before you take another breath, get that gem into a lye bath or oven cleaner. You got a lot of cooking to do to make up for all that time it was on a nail.

Please post pics after you clean it up.

The ERIE will be getting oven cleaner also refurbishing a gas convection unit needs cleaning.
I was amazed at the quality in the older pan compared to the Griswold pan.
This pan below is used every day, may have to clean that also to clarify the bottom. " skillet Made in USA, cannot see any more marked 10 on top of handle.
But it was used with a old time cook stove gas & wood at one point I know of?
i-DJvdCwx-M.jpg

The #10 was actually made in Ohio from a Wagner pattern with the Griswold TM applied. It says "11 3/4 INCH SKILLET" under the crud. The "MADE IN U.S.A." places it after the early 1960s.

Two cleanings of oven cleaner, to get stuff off.
I will read those now thnx.

As the evolution bit says it can be confusing, is the B a maker mark?
Quotes are there as curly R, blended rib?
711 assuming to be model.
i-v79WSc9-M.jpg

In the context of this skillet, the B would be considered a maker's mark, the 711 a pattern number. The handle rib appears to be the "partial". Early on, Griswold may have intended each individual working pattern to have its own number. You can find #9 Erie skillets with p/ns 710 to 713. Ultimately, 710 was settled on as the p/n for their #9 skillet, and although it essentially became a model number, it is still referred to as a pattern number. Making heads or tails of what was going on at Griswold in those early transitional times is difficult. Sometimes the letter is appended to the p/n instead of by the size number. Sometimes it's in both places.

Back