• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Skillet Corn Bread

Sherman A

Delicious Skillet Corn Bread

Have ready:
#8 cast iron skillet
Preheated 425 degree oven

Heat up skillet in the oven while you prepare the batter, about 15 minutes.

I.
1 ½ C Corn meal
60 gr (½ C sifted) Flour
1 C White sugar
1 t Baking powder
1 t Salt

Mix together in a large bowl.

II.
1 C Buttermilk, room temperature
2 lg Eggs, room temperature

Mix buttermilk and eggs together, add to the dry ingredients. Mix almost all the way.

III.
4 oz Butter, melted

Swirl in melted butter, then mix thoroughly. Carefully remove skillet from oven, brush with a light coat of butter (which will sizzle and brown). Pour cornbread batter into the hot skillet, and bake at 425 until done, about 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick inserted into the center. Turn cornbread out onto a cutting board, then flip over onto a wire rack with a towel below to cool.

IV.
2 oz Butter, melted

While the cornbread is still warm, brush the melted butter all across the surface.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 40
Sherman, looks good. Maybe once a Yankee? You might enjoy reading this old thread on cornbread:

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1986&page=7

Hilditch

Hi Hilditch,

Yep, i am a Yank, born in Connecticut, but now residing in Santa Cruz, Ca. The summers are way better here! :)

Thanks for the link to the old thread - WOW, lots of interesting corn bread info and discussion! I had no idea about the introduction of wheat flour and sugar to "plain" cornmeal breads ... i guess i have a sweet tooth for the sugar, and don't mind the way flour binds the cornbread together somewhat (as well as the eggs).

And yeah, it's sad but true that Manteca is by far the best flavored baking fat, and produces the best textured pie crusts. It's just sad for the cholesterol. :). Oh well, whatcha gonna do? I placate myself with butter in baked goods - Like that's any better!

-sherman

Back