Cook-N-Kettle

MDFraley

come across this a few weeks back at a local flea market. Knew when I spotted it that it would be coming home with me. This Cook-N-Kettle was patented 7/5/49 and registered 10/24/50. The patent number as listed on the lid doesn't look anything like the piece in reality. I did limited research just to try and tie down a legit date when it was made. As with many patents I'm sure there were variations to the original submitted drawings.
In any case it is now a member of our cast iron collection and both Bonnie and I feel we've saved a piece of history. We think this was the forerunner to the original Webber Grill. It has three sections, the base, middle section and lid. Total weight is close to 100 pounds including the charcoal grate and cooking grate. It was cleaned in out 55 gallon E-Tank piece at a time and seasoned yesterday with grapeseed oil on its first use.
It was made by Cook-N-Tools out of Tulsa, Oklahoma. This is the "Senior" model SR 59. I gifted Bonnie about a year ago with the "Junior" Cook-N-Kettle lid but we're still looking for the bottom half.
Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions if you want. Thanks in advance.

Wow! That is a beauty! Do you plan on using it to grill? Would you mind posting an update after you cook a few meals on it and let us know how it performs? Does it function like a Webber grill and prevents grease flare ups? I now have a cast iron grill that I want to find!

We started the seasoning around noon yesterday and cooked the first meal (steak and baked potatoes) on it around 5 yesterday afternoon. See attached pics.
Performance was flawless....no flare ups, temperature spikes, nothing.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that it had a rotisserie at some point in time attached to it. Also the two wheel (triangular shaped) pull cart is original with exception to the two new wheels I had to change out. The new wheels are the same type construction as the original ones so I don't feel bad that it isn't 100% original even though I still have them.
https://imgur.com/a/nbNIVjM

Hey MD. I was wondering what you think a fair price range for one of these complete Kettles with the stand is? I know where one is but I am not sure what’s good price is. I looked on eBay but had little luck. Thanks,
Kyle

Hard question to answer. As with most collectable pieces it comes down to what you want to pay for an item you desire that's not readily available and or hard to find. The ones I have seen listed are near $1k and not always complete. Lets just say that I paid under $401 for the one I found and included with it were two #12 old style Lodge camp ovens w/lids.
All of them were cleaned in my E-tank and as you can see they turned quiet nicely. I think my purchase was worth it but most would not shell out that kind of money but there again its not an every-day item and mine was found in the wild and not on e-Bay. Good luck.....

I think the coolest thing about this grill is that the Weber kettle grill options are compatible with it. We found a new grill rack at Ace Hardware and we are looking at possibly getting the rotisserie and parts to make it into a smoker. I would also like to pick up the lighter Weber kettle lid. The lid on this one is a chore but it's pretty.

Back