Cleaning a Cast Iron Clock

JennaP

Can I put this in the lye bath to clean it? It is sticky, from some old kitchen grease I'm sure. I would like to clean it up and get clock works for it so I can hang it up. Also, would I just season around the numbers so they will stay "silver" looking?

Thanks

clock 1 by j p, on Flickr

I'd be curious as to how the numbers are "silver" looking to begin with. It looks like it was just ground down to bare metal but if that was the case then the exposed parts would have rusted over time. So perhaps there's some lacquer or some other kind of protective clear coat over those parts? Or it's painted? Hard to tell from just that pic.

Google finds me this one similar to it. Does it say "made from original pattern of old iron skillet" on the cooking side?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/252671309/vintage-cast-iron-skillet-clock-8-inch?show_sold_out_detail=1

Mine is just like the one you linked to (including the writing on the cooking side) but there is no paint on the numbers of mine (as you can tell). It does seem like they are just ground to bare metal but no rust at all. I will try to get a closer picture. It does not feel like there is any lacquer or anything like that on it.

Back