Your Thoughts on Cooking with Early Vs Later Griswolds

AVaccaro

I new to collecting, and so far what I have been collecting is one or two pieces from different companies.

I currently have two Griswolds. Both are "Erie skillets" Compared to all my other skillets the "Erie" is much thinner. How does this affect the cooking, do you guys prefer the "Erie" skillets to the large TM or vise versa? Im just curious on why it was made thinner and how does it affect the product.

I recently purchased my first Columbus Hollow Ware piece. Getting it today. Similar time frame to the ERIE, I wonder how the two will compare.

I for one like the early ones, the ERIE series......a lot thinner, and lighter for sure. Im just careful not to warp my pans, and everything is A OK.....not putting down the others, they are great too....just my opinion.

I personally feel a bit too nervous to use my "thin" pans. Cornbread and eggs are about the only things I use my early Wagner for.

One of the first Griswolds I found was a #8 small logo early handle. Restored it and used it for near two years along side of my BSR,s. Then I found a slant Erie well sulfur pitted on the bottom and been using ever since. I’m not a collector so it’s just fine for me.
Over the thanksgiving holiday I gave my mom the small logo and she just loved it. My brother took her’s fishing and it never made it back home, for her age now the Griswold was better for her. Or any older light skillet. she was surprised how light it was compared to the one she bought in the 1960’s

Long story short if you like the way it cooks enjoy using it. The two BSR’s I have I’d have a hard time turning loose of for that reason.

Right now, my favorite skillet is the 1st series ERIE. She is like a thoroughbred when it comes to heating up and cooking. Rarely need to go above 3 or 4 on our electric stove (gas wasn't an option when we moved in). Use low settings on the camp stove on the deck. Would love to find a couple more.

One of my first restores was also a #8 small logo. Although I have a large collection of earlier Erie /Griswolds I much prefer the small logo for cooking. It goes from stove top to oven with ease and I never worry about warping.

I also use a #8 "Favorite" both are about as non-stick as they will ever be. They are certainly not my most valuable pans but they are NFS.

Back