Excelsior St Louis Cast Iron Skillet

Robert_H

hi, I just came across a what i believe to be an excelsior skillet. Are these skillets rare?

Attachments

• 6581.jpg
    6581.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 102
I don’t have the answer to your question but would like to see the top of this skillet, especially the handle.

Last edited:
I don't know about being 'rare'... I've seen pictures of marked excelsior pans... but they are definitely less common...and I'm sure there are collectors out there for g.f. filley/excelsior items. the nice part about finding a marked one is the ability to compare characteristics to try to identify unmarked ones.

add me to the list for wanting to see more pics of the rest of this... I assume it's a 'fancy handle' with the size raised... I'd like to see the size and shape of the spouts as well.

Here are some more photos of it. My nephew just finished restoring it. Thank you for your posts, I was really curious about this one as I've never seen one before.

Attachments

• 20180625_215027.jpg
    20180625_215027.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180625_215044.jpg
    20180625_215044.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180625_215100.jpg
    20180625_215100.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 71
Robert,

Nice skillet. I collect G.F Filley items. Marked skillets are hard to come by. I have every gem pan, waffle, lids and a dutch oven but have not yet secured a skillet. Very nice find.

Matt

Here is the only pic I have of my Excelsior marked piece that the Red Book calls a griddle or half skillet. Would take more pics but it's packed away in one of many totes with most of the rest of my collection. I bought it about 7-8 years ago and don't think I've seen another Excelsior marked piece in person since.
http://imgur.com/gSkzUTb

I had a big Filley #1 dutch oven that unfortunately had a 2" piece broke off the flange around the lid. I sold it and two #5 gem pans about 5 years ago and now kinda wish I hadn't despite the damage.

Back