Cast Iron Stove Eyes ?

Nick_N

Cast Iron Stove Eyes - Anyone got these ?

Yep...the eyes on my range top (GE '91) are also Cast Iron ! Just curious to know, if anyone else has these ? I understand that people didn't like them, because they held the heat too long (?).

IMG_0544.jpg

I've seen those before, but never knew anybody who owned one. I always wondered if it took several minutes for the cast iron eye to heat up.

I can't imagine what the designers were thinking, given the inability to respond quickly to burner setting changes. I suppose if you understand the nature of the beast and are prepared to work around it, you could, but why would you want to?

I've seen those before, but never knew anybody who owned one. I always wondered if it took several minutes for the cast iron eye to heat up.

Absolutely, just like our skillets, and when they get hot, you don't just turn them down, you take them off, if necessary. I'm used to them (the eyes) after 15-16 years, but actually, I do most of my CI cooking in the oven, so not a big problem, and it's really not much of a problem on the range either.

Again, it's what you get used too, I suppose........:tongue:

I think one should learn to work with it as Nick has, not around it. One does not just turn up or down a cast iron wood stove or an open fire. We allow extra time for heating and cooling for cast iron than we do for copper skillets. Adjusting to the heat source with time, temperature and adjustments is cooking beyond a crockpot. Instantaneous changes in heat settings are not a requirement for good cooking.

Hilditch

I think one should learn to work with it as Nick has, not around it. One does not just turn up or down a cast iron wood stove or an open fire. We allow extra time for heating and cooling for cast iron than we do for copper skillets. Adjusting to the heat source with time, temperature and adjustments is cooking beyond a crockpot. Instantaneous changes in heat settings are not a requirement for good cooking.

Hilditch

Thanks, and you nailed it Hilditch. It's just like a cast iron wood stove. When it's hot, it's hot. When it's not, it's not. I actually love it, and I was wrong on the time. It hasn't been just 15-16 years, but 25-26 years (missed it by 10 years somehow). :chuckle:

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Yes it does, but when it gets to temperature, it's there, and it stays there...:icon_thumbsup:

Sounds a bit like working with electric burners. My Aunt Betty, 92 yrs young, has an electric range and when back in the heartland to visit her I usually cook a meal for her and her guests, she loves a dinner party. I set the burners on different temps and move the pans around to finish sauces. I have never seen a cast iron cook top in person or worked on one. Like Hilditch said, part of the fun in cooking is adapting.

Work with. Work around. Same difference. Adapt. Make do. Allow for. Compensate. Compromise. Just semantics.

Back