Enameled #10 Wagner advertising skillet?!?!?

DaleR

It reads Ace Tank & Heater Co. Santa Fe Springs Cal. I looked up the company and it was started on 19 June 1957 and ceased to be on 26 July 1977. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1216161842a.jpg
    1216161842a.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 75
  • 1216161842b.jpg
    1216161842b.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1216161909a.jpg
    1216161909a.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 66
Dale, I think that is a really cool skillet. If it is in fact a Wagner I would think that would raise the value. Vintage advertising is quite collectible. It looks to be in fine condition as well. I used to have a wood cook stove that was the same colors as your skillet which makes me wonder if it was a freebie included with the purchase of a stove? Nice score. :icon_thumbsup:

I can't recall ever seeing an enameled Wagner, other than an ashtray. My memory isn't exactly the best so please if someone else has seen one refresh my memory. The size numbers and the handle on that pan sure say Wagner to me, I've seen Griswold enameled but not Wagner. I think it would be a safe bet to call that pan "rare".

It reads Ace Tank & Heater Co. Santa Fe Springs Cal. I looked up the company and it was started on 19 June 1957 and ceased to be on 26 July 1977. Any thoughts?

I did a quick internet search and couldn't find anything remotely close to your find. To me that means it's definitely rare no matter who made it! I have other types of collections of items that have no value themselves, but a departmental marking or name makes them very valuable. Congratulations on your find, I bet there weren't many to begin with so you may never see another like yours!

My feeling about the enameled skillet is that it is Wagner, due to font of marking on bottom and shape of handle. I have a #8 skillet which shows no bottom marks due to thickness; you can just see the 8 on the handle. It is a black and white speckled pattern which is consistent with the later Wagner enameled ashtrays, of which I have 2. The overall shape of the skillet is very like the brown one pictured by DaleR. Advertising pieces are usually collectible, and this pan certainly is in good shape. A "find" Dale--thanks for sharing.

No Wagner enameled CI is shown in the Red Book, but there is porcelained CI shown. Maybe this is porcelain CI rather than enameled CI and the company logo was added on top of the porcelain? FWIW, I do believe it is later Wagner. Unusual piece.

No Wagner enameled CI is shown in the Red Book, but there is porcelained CI shown. Maybe this is porcelain CI rather than enameled CI and the company logo was added on top of the porcelain? FWIW, I do believe it is later Wagner. Unusual piece.
To my knowledge what is on these pieces is a porcelain enamel. Many refer to it as simply "enameled". The RB and BB authors seem to prefer to call it "porcelain". But other than some pieces having an noticeably heavier coating than others, there doesn't appear to be a difference.

This pan is pre-1960 unmarked Wagner. Although the RB may appear to state the pieces it shows in the color section were fully of Wagner production, I doubt it. Other than the aforementioned ashtrays, there's just too little of it seen to support the assumption. More likely a third party contracting someone to enamel them and to also apply the advertising.

I agree with you Doug as to the 3rd party application. But SURELY Wagner was not ignorant of Griswolds enameled line and attempted some product testing...now if it did happen I bet they were scrapped on site. Also didn't Wagner and Griswold make their unmarked pans so your local hardware store (or tank and heater co.)could affix a paper label or such to them? Maybe they had an enameled ware option? I wish some of these pans could talk.

Back