Fluting Iron

John Ziebart

I have a Fluting Iron and would like to "blacken" it like my seasoned skillets,the question is the base and handle are cast but the "ribbed" lettered parts are non magnetic (Aluminum?) would it be safe to oil & bake like all my other cast iron or would there be a problem trying with the "non" cast parts?
Pics look like everything is seasoned black but the "ribbed" parts are really gray aluminum not black like the base and handle
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 9549924_n.jpg
    9549924_n.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 28
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 1336833779033_n.jpg
    1336833779033_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 22
my understanding is that the base is iron and the handle is iron but the ribbed parts are referred to as 'white metal'... some sort of soft alloy that has a melting point much lower than iron.
there's a wikipedia entry for 'white metal' that says it could be any combination in any proportions of the following metals:
A white metal alloy may include antimony, tin, lead, cadmium, bismuth, and zinc

and some places list a melting point of around 500 F.

This is probably a dumb question, but what is it used for? I dont think I ever saw one before.

During the 1860s women and men alike wore garments with crimped, ruffled, or fluted hems which were sewn onto the garments after laundering. A fluting iron was used to create these dramatic looks by producing pleats on hemlines, cuffs, and so on. The launderer ironing the garment would heat the iron on a stove top for a couple of minutes, pick up the iron using a rag, insert the fabric to be pleated between the top and bottom of the iron, and then manually roll the top of the iron back and forth over the fabric.

A little late to your party but for future info.

No need to put oil on and season the aluminum parts as you might want to give it a polished look after seasoning the cast iron parts.

Seasoning the cast iron parts with linseed oil (Boiled) Works great, dark and hard.

I use this method on old hand forged chains, logging tools, horse shoes, you name it. Things that paint will just not look good.

I am thinking that your fluting iron might have been japanned black originally.

Or you could tape off the aluminum parts and spray good black enamel paint.

Do what works best for you

Back