My Lodge Fish Cornbread Pan

SpurgeonH

I'm not sure how old this is, but I like it. It was one of the pans my mom gave me a couple of years ago.

(Looks like I didn't clean it very well last time ... I just noticed some bits of cornbread stuck in there! ... Don't judge. This fish pattern is hard to clean. Ha!

Thanks Doug. I was thinking it wasn't very old. It definitely has that "preseasoned look" to it. I think she probably bought it, didn't like it, and threw it in with the batch of pans she was passing down to me. She kept the corn stick pan she used when I was growing up. Ha!

Love gem pans, Spurgeon! Thanks for sharing this; I haven't seen one of these "fish" pans before. I'm jealous of the perfect corn bread; did you get this result from putting the batter into VERY hot pans? I know folks here say that's how it's done, but I don't have the nerve and manual dexterity to manage it--yet! Between perfect cornbread and yummy chili (Hilditch), I am bound to make something good this weekend--thank goodness the weather has cooled off some here!

Sharon, you are correct! I put the pans in the cold oven and turn it up to whatever temp the recipe calls for. I figure that way they heat up slowly (versus preheating the oven to 425 and putting them in the hot oven). I don't know if it really makes a difference, but that's the way I do it. Then, while the pan and the oven are heating up, I blend the batter. By the time I'm ready to pour the batter in the pan, the pan is nice and hot. As for when to grease the pan, I'm not sure that makes a difference either. I usually spray them with Pam after they are hot.

Back