Tennessee Vacation

Its a large logo, Got it in southern Wisconsin. Paid $30 for it. The seasoning was great, but I'm re-doing it because I don't know where its been.

I've never heard it put so elegantly before. That's what I do to every piece I get. :-D

PS. Maybe Dahmer and Gacy were CI fans.
Actually, that would be Dahmer or Gein, I believe. :-D

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Its a large logo, Got it in southern Wisconsin. Paid $30 for it. The seasoning was great, but I'm re-doing it because I don't know where its been.
Oh, MAN!!! What a deal! I'll give you $35 for it!:mrgreen:

I shed a tear every time someone strips 10 or more years of good seasoning off a piece of cast iron as I believe it will never cook as good.

Hilditch

I shed a tear every time someone strips 10 or more years of good seasoning off a piece of cast iron as I believe it will never cook as good.

Hilditch

I don't know why you would feel like that, Hilditch. My daily egg skillet is a Puritan by Favorite that I stripped and reseasoned, and all I have to do is to give it a shake and the eggs slide right out. 10 or more years of seasoning can't be any better than that. Perfection is perfect as it is.

Hilditch, I would feel as you do until the thought of how many Mountain Oysters were cooked and I relent and strip.

Hilditch, I would feel as you do until the thought of how many Mountain Oysters were cooked and I relent and strip.
Not to mention how many litters of mice were born in it.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Had my first day of picking down in Cookeville, TN and it was great! The place is loaded with antique malls and lots of cast iron. Lots of older 3-notch Lodges, as expected, but lots of other goodies, too. Here's what I found today (and this was far from everything that I would have liked to buy!)

This one is a definite spinner, but I don't care! I love it.

Close-up of that handle:

Look at what I just found listed on eBay! http://tinyurl.com/psos2qk

Actually, that would be Dahmer or Gein, I believe. :-D

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Oh, MAN!!! What a deal! I'll give you $35 for it!:mrgreen:

Sorry Dan, this one is mine. If I find another for that price, I will keep you in mind.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Hilditch

This one did not have 10 years of seasoning in it. The dealer had cleaned and re-seasoned it. I don't know what they used and I'm going to cook in it. Just trying to be safe in case they used something that looks good, but may be toxic.

I don't know why you would feel like that, Hilditch. My daily egg skillet is a Puritan by Favorite that I stripped and reseasoned, and all I have to do is to give it a shake and the eggs slide right out. 10 or more years of seasoning can't be any better than that. Perfection is perfect as it is.

A nonstick surface is only one of the culinary benefits of a very well seasoned piece of CI. My chili ain't right unless I make it in my CI DO with a 14" 40 yo wooden spoon. Of course none of this is purely mental.

Hilditch

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s been two weeks since we got an update on the game between the Tennessee Dealer and the Minnesota Collector - which reminds me of a story.

Twenty years ago there was a house on the outside of a curve that had a chain-link fence around the front yard on my way to work. One morning most of it was down as a car had missed the curve and landed in the front yard. On my way home there was a big sign that said:
CARS - 8
FENCE - 0
I giggled all the way home. As I am doing as I write. I love honesty!

Back to the subject at hand. Dan, you’re up.

Hilditch

Unfortunately, I'm home now, and no fleas in sight for at least 6 to 8 months.

Ever been to Antiques of Sparta? That's where I got the rack. Quite a shop! But by far the best CI picking came from a guy named Jesse T in Red Boiling Springs with a shop that is only open when he wants it to be. He still has two #4 Griswolds that I couldn't afford.

I am actually in lower West Tennessee. I have been in most upper-middle Tennessee shops. The shop you ask about, Sparta, I've not been to. I have a nice collection of the raised number, gate marked, griddles and skillets. I hope someone will explode with a researched based report that these are indeed Blacklock, pre Lodge, skillets. EBay has assumed this is a fact.
On a side bar, I wish I had hoarded more #5 Lodge and #16 Lodge DO's. They are the new "collectables". Tennessee collectors like their local iron. Discontinued...

I am actually in lower West Tennessee. I have been in most upper-middle Tennessee shops. The shop you ask about, Sparta, I've not been to. I have a nice collection of the raised number, gate marked, griddles and skillets. I hope someone will explode with a researched based report that these are indeed Blacklock, pre Lodge, skillets. EBay has assumed this is a fact.
On a side bar, I wish I had hoarded more #5 Lodge and #16 Lodge DO's. They are the new "collectables". Tennessee collectors like their local iron. Discontinued...

I purchased 4 #16 Lodge camp ovens several years ago. My wife wanted to why I bought 4. I explained that they were discontinued. She did not believe that they would raise in price. Now she looks at the sold prices on ebay, and asks why I don't sell them. I was going to resell, but can't seem to let them go. The #5 Lodge camp oven is the only one that I am missing. Those seem to be elusive.

Bruce

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s been two weeks since we got an update on the game between the Tennessee Dealer and the Minnesota Collector - which reminds me of a story.

Twenty years ago there was a house on the outside of a curve that had a chain-link fence around the front yard on my way to work. One morning most of it was down as a car had missed the curve and landed in the front yard. On my way home there was a big sign that said:
CARS - 8
FENCE - 0
I giggled all the way home. As I am doing as I write. I love honesty!

Back to the subject at hand. Dan, you’re up.

Hilditch

OK, you win, Hilditch. Nice job of humiliating a fellow forum member, but you were right... after my calling him four times, and asking him to either take it back, or split the cost and we each call it an expensive lesson, he hung up on me tonight. I have been firm, but polite in all of my dealings with him. I even let him know that I had defended his reputation online.

I don't know if this is against forum policy or not, so DougD, please deal with this as you see fit, but my only recompense was to write a negative Yelp review which I will link to for those that want to read it: link

It would be very interesting to see if someone else visits the place and sees if he has another one for sale. And if he did, call his attention to it by laughing and mention Yelp. Good (and bad, sorry) for you Dan, you can buy back a bad product but you can't buy a good reputation.

It would be very interesting to see if someone else visits the place and sees if he has another one for sale. And if he did, call his attention to it by laughing and mention Yelp. Good (and bad, sorry) for you Dan, you can buy back a bad product but you can't buy a good reputation.
Thanks, Scott. Yes, that would be interesting, and is a thought that has crossed my mind. A Google search for his name turned up a few hits that showed that he has had a couple of other questionable dealings which I can't go into here without risking libel.

Dan, I am sorry to hear this. I think it's sad some people are like that. You did the right thing leaving the review and I hope other people will consider your review before shopping at his store. I don't facebook but I see this store has a facebook page as well.

Back