Casting & Grinding Cast Iron Cookware (1921)

RickC

The Foundry Magazine 1921
Casting & Grinding Cast Iron Cookware.
10-pages.

http://imgur.com/a/LzVzj

Tip: You can click on the pages to zoom in.

Found this via Google books a couple months ago, but forgot to share here. The pages on grinding were especially interesting to me. It's work that a robot could easily do today, but no one is doing it.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Just hit the download button in Imugr and it puts it all in a nice .zip file. on my desktop.

Hi Rick, Nice read.

"It's work that a robot could easily do today, but no one is doing it."

It's a $$ thing and that tOOOOOOO many folks like teflon pans.

RickC
Thank you for posting that. The grinding article has given me hope that I can smooth the cooking surface on a post 1960 Wagner 2 quart DO. I'll post pictures if I am successful

The grinding article has given me hope that I can smooth the cooking surface on a post 1960 Wagner 2 quart DO.

But, it's still a Wagner, there won't be any more. Granted they made thousands upon thousands of them. Think of the children. Future collectors of old iron. Grind down one of these.

Yes - but if I smooth it out I will use it. It is the perfect size for a two person meal.

I had never seen this size Wagner dutch oven, then in one day I found two of them at two different shops. I am very confident smoothing the cooking surface won't harm them. Think of it as a hundred years of cooking in one afternoon. But if it doesn't work, I'll still have the second one.

Jack

But if it doesn't work, I'll still have the second one.

Jack
But realistically, does a Dutch oven need smoothing? I know I'm not cooking eggs, making a burger or searing some fish in mine. I'm cooking a roast, a pot of chili, Black eyed peas... None of that sticks. Smooth, rough, I'm good to go.

Thanks, saved. Check out the iron deposits for the area you live in. We talk about the finished product. Local iron deposits result in finished offerings.

Back