Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Too Many Tanks

I now have a vinegar tank, a lye tank, and an e-tank. Seems duplicative. I think I'll drain the vinegar (or use it for a nice iron rich salad dressing). I can use the bin to store my implements, gloves, steel wool, t-shirts, and arm/hammer in, and I don't see the point of both vinegar and electrolysis.

I do like the idea of keeping the lye bath to start softening the crud before electrolysis, as it's cheaper than running a battery charger all day and night for several days.

Just your basic deep thought here ... Observations welcome.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Too Many Tanks

Rob, Been trying to find out about your charger. Is it a 2 amp, 6 amp, 12 amp, or what? You have mentioned 6/2, 12/6 (?) Not really clear what you are using. I don't mean to jump topics here, but I've asked this in two other topics, but you never answered. Just curious what's going on with your amperage jumping around.........
Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Site Admin

Let's remember that forum threads aren't necessarily real-time conversations, and (most) people aren't sitting in front of the computer pressing refresh. If an answer to a question is not forthcoming in a reasonable amount of time the first time it's asked, consider a PM as the next step.

It appears, however, the question was answered here: http://www.castironcollector.com/for...72&postcount=7 6/2 = volts/amps.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Rob, I have been using a dedicated lye tank and a separate e-tank for several years. In tandem they work really well together, I have not seen any utility in adding additional units to my process.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM

Thank you very much! Good to know.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM

I primarily use my lye bath, but do have an e-tank as well for really rusty finds.

I don't keep vinegar bath set up all year, but usually use it ad hoc for pieces with light rust or when its too cold to use my e tank. I find that the vinegar, especially when diluted, is so reasonable in cost I just dump it after each use.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
Let's remember that forum threads aren't necessarily real-time conversations, and (most) people aren't sitting in front of the computer pressing refresh. If an answer to a question is not forthcoming in a reasonable amount of time the first time it's asked, consider a PM as the next step.

It appears, however, the question was answered here: http://www.castironcollector.com/for...72&postcount=7 6/2 = volts/amps.
Sorry, just trying to help him figure out why only 2 amps. I did see the comment, "It has a 6/2 and a 12/6 setting", but still not clear what he is actually using. I thought by 12/6, he meant either 12 volt or 6 volt. I assumed surely he was using the 12 volt setting. Not sure why you would use 6V. That's why I was asking what charger he was using, etc, etc....will try a PM as suggested......thanks