Aebleskiver Pans

DTaylor

Hi there y’all. I’m new here but have been using cast iron for at least 40 years and before that witnessed my mom, grand and great grandmother cook in them. I have several hand me downs from the 30’s and a couple more that likely in 50’s. I bought a Lodge not long after marriage. Never again. Doesn’t have that smooth finish and heavy. Anyway, I bought two cast iron pieces today that I was told were egg pans. I really know nothing about them. Paid a couple of dollars each. May not be worth more. In my research I’ve seen many call them “egg pans”. I’m thinking those must have been some pretty little eggs. Digging deeper I saw something about Aebleskiver pans. Aha! I’m pretty sure that’s what they are. I believe it’s used for the Danish “pancake like” round balls. Now I’m pretty sure what they are I’m wondering how old. Does anyone have any information on this? I’m including photos if I can figure out how. One has a very high angle curved handle and very primitive imperfections on underside. The other one has what I believe is the number 503. I am in the process of stripping them down and reseasoning. They have a lot of sticky gunk and rust. Any info
would be greatly appreciated.
I have a cast iron deep fryer that I’ve always used. It has years on build up on the outside so I decided the other day I’d try to clean it up a bit. Started scraping on it and saw this thing that looked like this, - 0 - I’m wondering what the heck is that. So I scratch a bit more and above that I made out the word Sidney. Looked it up and with the font looks like I have a Wagner Ware Sidney Stylized, High. Whatever that means. I may have to post the photos in several batches. The first 3 are of the one that has the higher handle and imperfections of molding on bottom

Attachments

• B6FA3B5D-ADE0-4CFD-A018-32C70315A871.jpg
    B6FA3B5D-ADE0-4CFD-A018-32C70315A871.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 57
  • D6259FB5-1964-44EC-A267-947605FCDF9A.jpg
    D6259FB5-1964-44EC-A267-947605FCDF9A.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 9ABF3FAC-695E-4109-B844-C3B66BA65EA0.jpg
    9ABF3FAC-695E-4109-B844-C3B66BA65EA0.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 54
Ok, here are the next photos of that pan

Attachments

• 44FD2501-422B-45D7-BD95-7CD421E73736.jpg
    44FD2501-422B-45D7-BD95-7CD421E73736.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20A14F59-6D20-49EC-BBDA-DFC3115CB066.jpg
    20A14F59-6D20-49EC-BBDA-DFC3115CB066.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 33
Continuing my previous post about the two pans. I have 5 photos that I guess will will have to post in two separate post also. This is the second pan

Attachments

• C61FB208-330A-4DBE-877B-20BCD8C7824E.jpg
    C61FB208-330A-4DBE-877B-20BCD8C7824E.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 32
  • 24B38C46-41D2-4DFF-8483-BD665B9ADE09.jpg
    24B38C46-41D2-4DFF-8483-BD665B9ADE09.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 7A1F6052-49F6-4DD2-A249-67B9358D04DF.jpg
    7A1F6052-49F6-4DD2-A249-67B9358D04DF.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 35
Last photos of the second pan. One photo shows what I think is 503. May not mean anything. If I find any other markings after I’ve stripped to reseason I’ll let you know Figured the more photos the better. Let me know if I’m wrong since I’m new here.

Attachments

• F7E7D30C-3343-4E06-99FA-CFC1721A2BB8.jpg
    F7E7D30C-3343-4E06-99FA-CFC1721A2BB8.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 23
  • B51D595D-CE29-4D1C-9E3B-A977A96EF23E.jpg
    B51D595D-CE29-4D1C-9E3B-A977A96EF23E.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 21
These might be more aptly called munk pans. The name aebelskiver is most often associated with a pan that has a deep rim it sets on, that a munk pan does not. So, a munk pan is an aebelskiver pan, but not necessarily the reverse. But they serve the same function. Neither of yours appears to have markings or characteristics linking them to a known or major name manufacturer. By its design, I would say the first may pre-date the latter by nearly a century. The second appears to be an Asian import.

Thank you for the info! I didn’t realize I had an answer to my question. I was believing I would get some type of notice in my email telling me a response had been posted. So your opinion is that the one with the high curved handle could be over a 100 years older than the second one? Am I understanding that correctly? Ok, what would your quess be on the age of the Asian one? As far as these type pans is the thought that the cast iron is lower quality being from that part of the world? I’d love to send you more photos and have you share more information about them. I’ve been cleaning them up a bit more. Having a real hard time getting into all the spaces on bottom between the cups. Lots of rust. Would you be willing to PM me as not to take up space and time here with others?

The style of handle on the first one places it likely mid-1800s (assuming the casting imperfections on its bottom are sprue marks from where the iron was poured into the mold); that of the second more like late 1940s to 50s (1960s or after one would expect the country of origin to be inscribed). If as old as assumed, one would expect the first to have been cast from iron smelted from virgin ore; the second most likely from at least some if not all recycled iron. But even domestic CI has been made using recycled iron for quite some time, so basing quality difference solely on that would be naive. Typical Asian import CI does tend to suffer from lower finish quality compared to that of contemporaneous US product, that from Japan being a notable exception. Having no real indication as to maker, there really isn't all that much more to say about them. Asking and answering questions about cast iron cookware via PM is counter to the entire point of the forum, so any follow-up questions should be asked here.

Thanks for sharing more wisdom and knowledge. I have no problem posting on open forum but just didn’t want to bore or take up the space. I hope you don’t mind answering something else for me. Talking about the older one, did people have a tendency back then to just make their own or were they all bought from someone who made them? Since they are a cooking utensil that began as a needed pan for an ethnic dish I’m wondering if it was even made here in the U.S.? What companies made cast iron back in that timeframe your speaking? Did they have markings then to identify their work? I have no intention of selling nor does it matter, I fry solely in my CI and have used all of them way before I knew it was being collected, but if that old does that make it valuable at all or not, simply because no identification. To be honest I’m just excited that I have something that old because it makes me feel as if I have a piece of history. I would love for it to have the ability to tell me it’s story of where, when it was made, who’s hands has it past through and how it got to where I found it.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Mine has nothing at all and wish it had something just to satisfy my curiosity. Top of mine is pretty good but the back shows a lot of somewhat, what I’ll call primitive with all the imperfections of the cups joined.

Talking about the older one, did people have a tendency back then to just make their own or were they all bought from someone who made them?
The pans or the aebelskivers? Making your own CI pan is beyond the capability of most. The desserts were likely both homemade and purchased, although as being best suited for immediate consumption, probably more often the former.
Since they are a cooking utensil that began as a needed pan for an ethnic dish I’m wondering if it was even made here in the U.S.?
Possibly not. CI was passed down from generation to generation. If immigrants could bring theirs, they most likely did. Firms like Alfred Andresen and Western Importing Co. also focused their businesses on providing goods and wares the immigrant populations they served were accustomed to having before coming to the US, either by importing them or contracting for their manufacture here. Related: http://www.castironcollector.com/andresen.php
What companies made cast iron back in that timeframe your speaking? Did they have markings then to identify their work?
Too many to count, most unknown unless a name was inscribed.
but if that old does that make it valuable at all or not, simply because no identification.
Some collectors concentrate on pieces from that timeframe. Having a known maker is nice, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement. The appeal seems to be more about the thinness/lightness, ornate handles, and finer casting finish.

Was asking about the pans being homemade but you answered both so thank you. You’ve been very informative and I thank you for your time.

Back