Your Stovetop Counts!

W. Hilditch

So my SO rented a cottage? (1,500 sq. ft.) in a different woods than the one we live in for a few days. It had everything from Direct TV to a potato peeler and all new appliances as it was built 6 months ago. No internet connection was the reason to get away. Not knowing what we’d find I took my SK 10, DO & egg pan.

This was my first experience with a glass top electric stove. I HATE ‘em! First the manual said to only use SS. Yea, right. So I’ll be careful. I’m used to a gas range and cooking on a 125 yo wood stove or an open fire is easier and less stressful than a smooth-top with electric coils that cycle on and off. I was glad I had the cast iron to even out the heat cycling which left evidence on the bottom of the SS cookware there.

Everything required two hands, even stirring the beef stew or one had to chase the DO all over the cooktop. The only time the cookware didn’t slide was if it wasn’t touched. After never going over medium on a gas range it took almost high to get it smokin’ and seer some meat after reading a warning about meltdowns and it being against the law to spill anything on the glass. Those things can take the fun out of cooking.

I always knew I liked my gas range, just not how much.

Hilditch

My mother-in-law has one of those ranges. She hates it too. Until my daughter got engaged (and the wedding bills started piling up) I was planning on replacing our electric range with gas. Maybe next summer.

Those glass tops take some getting used to. I have only used them when at an extended stay hotel for work.

At home I have natural gas and at the cabin its a small propane or wood stove. I would take either over glass.

Yeah, when I was first on my own my place had a gas range. When I bought a house it didn't have gas so we had a '70s era electric range. Then we upgraded the kitchen and put in a glass top stove.

Then later we moved to where we are now, with a gas range. I far prefer gas over the other options, have no desire to ever switch again. I tend to look at the flame size more than the dial setting.

I have a glass top and because of it I got rid of my old cast iron, but I decided I missed it too bad so I picked up a couple of Lodge skillets a couple of years ago (12 inch and 8 inch) and I never looked back. If it ruins the stove top so be it. It would be nice to have Gas but I don't want to have to deal with a tank in my yard (no gas lines on my street).

If I ever have to do electric it will be coil burners with 8 settings as they at least hold even heat. My gas top has has just Lo and Hi with no markings on the sweep in between. Two burners have dashes down to XLo where the burners cycle on and off in tenths down to 6 seconds a minute for flame on time.

Hilditch

That cycle on/off XLo feature is pretty cool; I've never heard of that before.

Is the gas range a modern design or has this feature been around a while?

Looking at the pic above reminded me of the main reason I bought this 30” range. Stovetop space. Measuring burner centers it is 14” from left to right and 10 3/4” front to back with no interference in the back until one hits the wall.

This allows me to center a 14 SK, a SK 10 (12”), a 10” stock pot and an 8” sauce pan on all 4 burners at once. You may want to keep this in mind when shopping for your next stovetop.

Hilditch

I have the dreaded glass top, and do NOT like it, especially for use with iron. I was spoiled when living in Post housing in CA, with a gas range, and then moved back east to the land of electric stoves.

I recently lightly investigated buying a gas range, and the price turned me off. IIRC, refurb'd ranges started about $900, plus installation, gas lines and tank. One of these days, I'll be out of school and have a job again, and look forward to increased disposable income.

Steve

Back