Early Fdy Co Oval Pot

CarolinG

I have a pot that I am curious about and have not been able to find much information on the internet. It is an oval pot in very good condition with no cracks. It is about 16" wide x 12" deep x 8" high (without the lid and 10" with the lid). It has a flat bottom and has the original cast iron handle. I bought it for $90 at an antique store. I have found out some about the company and I have seen their griddles online, but nothing about the oval pots.

When I bought it, the person who was selling it on consignment was at the store and they said it was used in a covered wagon train coming out west. Is that a plausible story? Are there very many of them? Is there an estimated value (I am not interested in selling mine, because I love it too much and it is very useful)?

Thank you and any help would be great!

They were located in Dickson, PA, and were known to have made long griddles and oval pots.

The list here can sometimes be a helpful starting point on many of the older foundries that have been identified: http://www.castironcollector.com/foundries.php

I always wonder where the colorful stories about old cast iron pans come from. Especially the ones you know are just plain made up. Web results indicate the Early Foundry was established in 1906, so maybe it came out west in a Model T. I would think $90 would be a little on the high side, unless it is in excellent condition or has unique and interesting characteristics.

Back