identify maker/age of skillet

MichaelE

I have a skillet I picked up at a yard sale which I think is pre Lodge. It has a raised X mark on the bottom and the 8 is raised on the top. The skillet has an indented heat ring with no break in the circle. Otherwise it has no other markings. I would appreciate if someone knows what it is.

Attachments

• P1040629.jpg
    P1040629.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P1040631.jpg
    P1040631.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 64
  • P1040632.jpg
    P1040632.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 78
Looks like an old Lodge to me as well. A better picture of the under side of the entire handle would help.

Doesn't Lodge have a groove in the heat ring at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock positions? Or is that not on all of them?

Lodge skillet heat rings at various points had no notch, a single notch (at 12), and 3 notches. There is currently a propensity on the part of many to attribute any skillet with a raised size number on the top of the handle and a raised molder's mark at 6 o'clock on the bottom to the Blacklock Foundry, in which Joseph Lodge was involved before establishing the foundry that bore his name. Little is known about Blacklock skillet production, as it appears they, like Lodge for most of its production, didn't mark their skillets with a name, although they did other pieces. The RB shows a skillet with an outside heat ring and a raised letter molder's mark which it conjectures may be Blacklock. The short period in which the Blacklock foundry existed tends to suggest that their skillets would have been of the outside heat ring design. But there are no skillets known for certain to be Lodge that do not have inset heat rings. There is also an article published which attempts to connect various skillets with similar characteristics into a "Blacklock/Lodge" timeline.

Here's a link to a couple of what we believe are early Lodge (possible Blacklock) skillets. Looking at the Blacklock article, it appears that both possibly fall into one of the numerous variations mentioned.

We picked these up at a yard sale. They're being cleaned and getting ready for seasoning.

The "7" on the handle of one of them is skewed, not sure why.

Back