#2 Early Lodge?

Robert M.

I recently found a small skillet with an inset heat ring with a single notch at 12 o'clock. It was pretty dirty when I got it with alot of build up on both top and bottom of the pan. I could see the single notch and it measured 3/4" smaller in diameter than a lodge #3, so I thought it could be a #2. But after a complete cleaning there were no markings on the pan at all, top or bottom. The handle on this pan is almost identical to the handle on the #3 Lodge, but the diameter of this pan is 6" as opposed to 6 1/2" dia on the #3.
Any ideas?

I think what you have is an old Lodge #3, unmarked. Coincidentally, I was looking at this auction today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Wagner...371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8a96f733

The seller calls the smaller pan a #2, and believes there is a ghost 2 on it. I think the ghost is a 3. I think this because I just went thru two stacks of #2 and #3 skillets here, and found that my old arc logo no-notch Lodge #3 is 1/2" smaller than all my Wagner #3s. Sounds like you may have the same pan as the auction.

Thanks Doug,

I'm still a bit confused because the pan in question that I have is 1/2" diameter smaller diameter than a Lodge #3. Granted, all the Lodge #3's that I have are all with 3 notches. Perhaps an earlier Lodge #3 will have the smaller diameter as the pan I just got.
The auction you gave the link to shows the smaller pan that looks identical to the one I have. Even down to the thinner wall size. There don't appear to be any "ghost" markings visible on mine.

I'd be interested to see if you have a single notch Lodge #3 and what the diameter of that one is.

Thanks again Doug.

Lodge sizing (and that of other makers) was apparently not all that uniform nor consistent. Of the three Lodge #5s shown in the RB, the diameters are given as 8", 8-1/2", and 8-1/8". My stack with my Lodge #3 also has Wagner #2s and Martin #3s, all virtually the same size.

Back