New to the group

JWMichaels

Hi. New to group from Northern Indiana. While I've used some cast iron my grandmother bought in early 40's, a Lodge and a BSR, just recently started adding some new pieces to the collection. Most are basic pieces, have one I'm curious about. A skillet with a raised 12 on the handle, no heat ring and no other markings.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408433572.367322.jpg bottom of handle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408433617.312964.jpg top of handle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408433653.399091.jpg one half of bottom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408433686.293619.jpg other half of bottom

I'm doing a more thorough job of cleaning bottom so see if there is any kind of marks on it.

I'm new here myself,but if I were you I would try posting my questions in either the "New collectors corner" or the "show and tell" parts of the forum as it seems thats where most people post their questions and pictures.

Although I read every post on the forums, it is often while engaged in some other activity as well, and with every intention to return to follow up if necessary. I also like to give others time to chime in with what they know first; I know a good bit, but don't wish to be a know it all. Becky's advice is good; many members over time don't pay as much attention to the Introductions posts, and requests for help can get lost in them.

Your skillet has a couple of earmarks most would attribute to Lodge, but Lodge was never known for certain to make a completely smooth bottom regular skillet, toy hammered pieces notwithstanding. I would, given the apparent casting skill shown, attribute this piece to a small unknown foundry, who may have used a Lodge skillet as a model or to create a pattern, modifying it to their specifications.

If it had a gate mark and a heat ring, it could be what many call a Blacklock pan. No proof, but a could be, may be or a "wanna" be. With that bottom configuration. It will join the mystery pile. Clean it up and fry some bacon.

Back