Requesting Advice

K.Chandler

I am new to this and looking for some advice on a griddle I found at a local flea market. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. The griddle has a raised #8 on the handle with an inset, solid "no notch" heat ring. There is not any other markings on the bottom of the pan.. I've done plenty of research on the Lodge "no notch" and SMS skillets and curious to know if the griddle is worth $20 if it is a SMS griddle and not a Lodge? Or a better question to know if Lodge even made a griddle on the no notch time period? Thank you in advance.

The notched heat ring dating of Lodge really only applies to skillets. That it has a heat ring at all, if Lodge, means it is their "old style" griddle, which is very much like an extremely shallow skillet. Lodge "new style" griddles are like those of several other manufacturers, which are, for lack of a better word, inverted compared to the old style. There doesn't seem to be a griddle identified as "SMS" like there are skillets. Again, photos go a long way in helping make an ID.

So not knowing what it is, would a blind purchase of a $20 griddle with a heat ring and raised handle number, be a logical move?

Of course, one would like to find pieces they want for as little money as possible. But, if it's not warped, cracked, or pitted from rust, and you want it, $20 doesn't seem out of line (nor would asking for a little better price).

Thank you for the responses. If/when I'm able to purchase it, I'll post pictures in this thread for identification help.

Back