New to the forum

Jim Babcock

I bought a couple of fry pans to replace ones I got rid of years ago in a mistaken idea that non stick was better. The first one I bought was an old Griswold No 8 with good markings and smooth inside but I had to steel wool it to get the carbon off. The other two are a 6 1/2 inch skillet made in USA marked pan that was very encrusted in carbon. So bad I though it was unmarked. The other one I found was a gate marked No 7 griddle. It had some carbon but I did not have to take it down to the metal like the 6 and a half inch pan. Here are a couple of photos. I took a before photo of the gate marked pan, the girswold is after the first seasoning with flax oil. Its now in the oven with its 6th coat with the other two on their first. Any thoughts or help to guide me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bottom Griswold no8.jpg
    Bottom Griswold no8.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 43
  • gate marked griddle.jpg
    gate marked griddle.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 38
  • top gate marked griddle.jpg
    top gate marked griddle.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
Many people run across the flax seed oil method online, and spend a lot of time and effort to follow it, only to learn later that it often flakes off in use. From the last photo, I would say you are applying it too heavily/not wiping enough off before baking.

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/restore.php for info on cleaning and seasoning best practices.

Nice skillets. I'll let you be the judge on whether or not you like flax oil, but when you say the Griswold is in the oven with it's sixth coat I'm assuming it's in the oven for it's sixth go around of seasoning. Why? I season once or twice with Crisco or canola oil and start using the CI. More than once or twice on seasoning is a waste of time, effort, and electricity, IMO. I'll agree with Doug on the too much oil in your first photo after seasoning. It shouldn't look splotchy like that.

Nice skillets. I'll let you be the judge on whether or not you like flax oil, but when you say the Griswold is in the oven with it's sixth coat I'm assuming it's in the oven for it's sixth go around of seasoning. Why? I season once or twice with Crisco or canola oil and start using the CI. More than once or twice on seasoning is a waste of time, effort, and electricity, IMO. I'll agree with Doug on the too much oil in your first photo after seasoning. It shouldn't look splotchy like that.

I was following the instructions I found on the net. The video said at least 6 sessions seasoning it. Its very hard and not sticky. I wipped on the oil then took a dry PT and wipped it so I got nothing off on the towel each time.

Not that putting more coats on is bad but if you plan on using it often there is no need. Allow age and awesomeness to be your seasoning!

I think most of us when we first started out with CI, seasoned 4-6 times myself included. Most all the info on the net seems to recommend 6 times or so. Ive kinda come around to what some of the others have said, ill season about 3 times and start using it. One thing tho I haven't really settled on one oil or another at the beginning. I'm learning not to over complicate the enjoyment of cooking with CI.

The final seasoning came out nice on the Griswold. Nice and deep black with a shine but no sticky feel. Nice and smooth. The first of the other two came out nice also. The one I had to take down to he metal came out deep brown to blue black. I am sure it will come out deeper black after a couple of more times in the oven. The griddle with the gate mark came out dull black very nice. I will give it a couple more treatments and call it good.

Six times? Three times? How many times did an 1880's mom run a new piece through the oven without food in it?

Hilditch

Well I have the griddle and 6 inch in for the second round of seasoning. After taking out the griddle turned out great. I kept a lot of the original black patina. The 6 inch it slow blackening. I bet after about 4 round it will be nice and black.

Back