• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Beef on Weck

W. Hilditch

This is THE Buffalo, NY sandwich. Thinly sliced roast beef dipped in hot au jus served on a kummelweck roll with horse radish and French fries.

Rolls: Get fresh Kaiser rolls, baste top with egg white/water mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt and caraway seeds. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes.

Cheatin’ Au jus: 8 to 10 oz. water, 2 beef bouillon cubes, 1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet. Simmer.

Beef: 4 to 6 oz. roast beef sliced 1 to 2 mm thick per serving. Tonight I used leftover prime rib.

French fries: Deep fry in chicken fryer or ?? the ff for 1 1/2 minutes to pre cook on hot. Cool and put in fridge for a couple of hours. When ready to serve, finish fries in hot oil for 5 minutes. All fried potatoes like to have a pre-cook, except for raw fries.

To serve: dip meat into hot au jus just long enough to get wet. Get it out fast and onto the roll or it will over cook. Add horse radish and the top, fries and serve on hot plates. Really good.

Way over cooked, but better than in Buffalo.

Did I mention a beer?

Hilditch

Hilditch, I'll probably never try this myself, but thanks for the "recipe", and does it ever look good! :grin: Have a great new year, and keep those food ideas coming!

It's funny actually, I get called Steve more often than not. I don't know if it's that Steve is more common than Scott or if it's just that Steve comes to mind faster than Scott. Maybe I was supposed to be Steve but my parents didn't get the memo. Either way, as the saying goes, you can call me anything but late to dinner. :D

It's funny actually, I get called Steve more often than not. I don't know if it's that Steve is more common than Scott or if it's just that Steve comes to mind faster than Scott. Maybe I was supposed to be Steve but my parents didn't get the memo. Either way, as the saying goes, you can call me anything but late to dinner. :D

Well from my end of it is my name is Steve and my brothers name is Scott, and we both answer to or acknowledge either one.. Even people that don't know the other one.
I think my grandma started that. Back then she had raised seven children and the youngest my uncle was only 3 1/2 years older. Well anyway she covered all the bases by saying 'Steve ER Scott' (both names) to either of us :) it must of been faster to say than think while refereeing the rest of the house.

This is THE Buffalo, NY sandwich. Thinly sliced roast beef dipped in hot au jus served on a kummelweck roll with horse radish and French fries.

My next door neighbor who drives around the Pacific NW in a car with BUF BILS vanity plates threw himself a 60th birthday party. The caterers prepared Beef on Weck. Yum.

My name is Justin. I get called everything from Jason to Jeff. Rarely do I get called Justin. Good look sammich

Thanks for posting that recipe Hilditch. Early in my career I spent a good amount of time in Buffalo and ate a ton of Beef on Weck. I forgot all about them until tonight. I think I have dinner inspiration for the coming long weekend.

Back