Lodge 9 DO - My First Dutch Oven

Bob P.

Picked up my first dutch oven this weekend at a flea market. It was unmarked, but just ten dollars, so I couldn't leave it behind.

Actually I talked the guy selling it into holding it for me while I wandered the rest of the flea, so I kinda left it behind. But just for a bit.

Here it is cleaned up:

yhzqRpml.jpg

vUzjppEl.jpg

hqeICmFl.jpg

W9geD9yl.jpg

The pot is eleven inches across and four and a half inches tall. There's still a bit of black staining on the top of the lid and on the bottom of the pot, I may have to send it back into the lye tank at some point. And I accidentally brushed the lid with a microfiber towel when it was still very hot, of course that left a little stutter mark. But for now it's good enough to start using. I have some bread dough rising, this thing needs to get to work!

I believe it's a Lodge High Dome #9. I've read that the logo'd versions were made between 1935-1940, I'm guessing the unmarked versions would be the same timeframe? Everything I know came from these two links:

https://vintagecastironllc.com/2018/12/30/ask-mary-who-asked-john-what-do-we-have-here/
https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7277&highlight=lodge+high+dome

A few other things I've noted:

There's a maker's mark under one of the bail ears (as well as some more gunk that I missed):

pTWaeYel.jpg

There are some voids in the casting around the base of the pot:

AXQ8Gzwl.jpg

And one of the 'standoff' tabs for storage airflow is damaged (but I didn't see any corresponding damage on the pot rim):

tH6iSB2l.jpg

10 bucks was a steal! Great Dutch oven. I have an 8 and use it daily for popcorn for the kiddos. You are correct on lodge and the dating. Mine also has minor voids. Still works great though.
Happy hunting,
Kyle

Thanks Kyle! Appreciate the confirmation of what I'd been able to dig up. Good to know a bit of the pot's history. :)

I made a pot roast in it today. Potatoes, Parsnips, Carrots, and Sweet Onions too. Came out great. Served it with the bread I'd made yesterday.

m6ft3MPl.jpg

Our daughter was home tonight for a visit. She looked in the oven, saw the pot, and said 'That thing looks medieval!'. Lol.

I would call that a steal of a deal. It may have a few minor flaws in it, but it should make a great user.

Back