Prices

I have been wondering if im being too frugile recently. Ive only been collecting for a couple months now and ive bought a dozen or so pieces. I thought i was getting good deals but have seen more seasoned (pun intended) collectors buying the same pans for half of wht i buy them for. 3 notch lodges and BSR pans seem to be the most common pan here in Georgia and 20 bucks is the average asking prices as antique stores and flea markets. If i see it for 15 bucks thats a good day. Am i expecting too much for a 10 dollar pan or not?

Could be that where you live and the immediate shopping for antiques has higher priced items than the norm. Seems as though the sellers have used eBay as a bench mark and prices reflect what they want to sale. Both the BSR and Lodge are plentiful and I would suggest taking a short trip to a neighboring area and find some of those out of the way places where less competition will most likely get you a better bang for your buck. You'll also find here on CIC we like to brag about a good deal so it's not always that we find good CI at a low cost, but we try.

Robert, where are you in Georgia? I've found antique stores in Marietta are higher than those in Calhoun. Calhoun is higher than an antique store found halfway between Cedartown and Cave Spring. The antique stores that look more like a junk store on the side of the two lane are more fun to explore and their prices are lower.

Nothing wrong with being frugal while searching for cast iron. Sometimes I find great buys at local thrift stores. Other times the same thrift stores have current Lodge skillets and ask for more than what I can have a new one delivered to my house for. If it is not something I am looking for or is not a great bargain, I just pass on by.

Im in Winder GA. Ive really enjoyed the "hole in the wall" establishments the best. Seem to be a little harder to find but defiently more fun.

Robert, I finally had a chance to get to my desktop ... FYI - there is an antique store near Jaemor Farms in Alto, GA you might want to check on if you are ever up that way. I can't remember the name, but it is on the same side of the road as Jaemor and, if I remember correctly, it is at the traffic light right before you get to Jaemor. The prices were high, but they had some beautiful stuff ... and stuff I haven't been able to find anywhere else around here.

5FIhIQK.jpg

EG2QDJP.jpg

Athens,Ga here.I hit the flea markets more then anything and I do get the $10 deals. Brick and mortar never had much luck.

Athens,Ga here.I hit the flea markets more then anything and I do get the $10 deals. Brick and mortar never had much luck.

Im also in the Athens area. Over in Winder to be exact but i lived in athens and my wife still works there. Perhaps we could go out some time and shop.

I was in the big Goodwill in Seattle today, and they had an Asian pan #8 marked $35. :icon_rofl:

My son has lived in the seattle area for the last 2 years (currently up in Ballard)... for some strange reason I found the Seattle goodwill ebay store and I watch their listings (usually for things he might be interested in... they have some stuff they won't ship... local pick up only)... but I have seen them list griswold skillets and dutch ovens and other cast iron stuff online. That might be bad... since other people all over the country can see that they have nice cast iron for sale at goodwill prices and it may get a lot of bids.. but shipping might keep some away from it as well.

Back