What is an acceptable amount of flash rust?

Mike_C

So I finished cleaning my 3 skillets with a short 50/50 vinegar soak followed by some scrubbing with steel wool. Mostly good, some splotches, but overall good.

After scrubbing I rinsed in cold water and dried as best I could, then into a 200 oven. 2 of the skillets dried pretty well, but one still looks like (to me) it could use some more scrubbing.

Is this acceptable for seasoning or another go around with steel wool?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 63
You can just go ahead. It will continue to flash rust. Putting the oil on "seals" it from the air and stops it. The residue of it will wipe off with the excess oil you remove.

I rinse w/ hot water and when wiped off things dry almost instantly w/ little rust.

Mike, from my experience, I get much less flash rust using cold water to rinse. I clean 2 pans most days and want to have 4 before doing my seasoning. This requires letting 2 pans sit for a day til I have 2 more ready the next day. When I used to use hot water, the pans had a considerable amount of flash rust on day 2. When I switched to cold, there was virtually none. Another thing to note is that I don't heat the pans to dry them. Just dry them really well with paper towels and put them in the cold oven til I'm ready for them on day 2.

I am with Mike on this one. Hot water usually does better for me. Not sure why but I have noticed a significant difference. Maybe because I live in a very dry environment?.?.
Kyle

I've noticed the same thing about cold water. And when I've dried one and have to wait to season it, I put it out in the garage.....so cold out there!

Last edited:
Back