I'm in a slump ...

Another update on my experiment. I haven't tried using vinegar on it yet. I think it is interesting the area on the bottom and sides, which were a darker color after using the SS brush/Drill, are now a lighter color. It's like the iron was changed by the crud and can't take the seasoning as well as the other areas.

This is why most folks don't use power tools on cast iron cookware. It does something to the surface and will never season the same. It's possible to intentionally rust the affected areas and get the surface back to something you can season. My theory is that the steel from the brush is actually transferring to the iron and creating a sort of "plating" or steel or stainless that won't season like iron.

I don't agree with that. You're not going to "plate" CI by using a wire brush driven by a power tool. If it were to leave any residue, it'd come off with a damp wipe before drying and oiling for seasoning.

The risk from power tools is leaving marks or changing the surface texture. Then overdoing it can polish off the natural surface patina.

As far as the color change goes, I had a similar experience - I had a pan stripped to bare iron, about to season it. My wife was cooking this stinky chicken wing recipe she does on the burner next to where I was low-heating the pan to ensure it was dry. A couple of her grease splatters got on the cooking surface. They near-instantly left a dark stain on the splatter spots that I couldn't clean off. But after a round or two of seasoning, it was the opposite - those spots were actually a lighter color than the surrounding surface. And I don't mean they stayed the same while the rest got darker, those spots were actually a lighter color.

But eventually with use it all evened out. I think this pan just needs more seasoning and it'll start looking regular.

This "stain" was on there when I stripped the old seasoning off. When I bought it, it was obvious somebody had tried to clean it and season it. I've had a couple of other skillets have a stained area and it usually where the carbon buildup was the heaviest. On those, it seemed like, even when it looked like the crud was completely gone, the iron underneath had changed. Since this is my experimental piece, I'll probably strip it again and try Doug's vinegar technique.

As for the power tool, it did give the surface a highly polished look (except where the darker area was). I had wondered if it had polished the iron, closing off pores maybe?, and those areas would not take the seasoning. But the whole thing seems to be seasoned, it's just different colors.

Benjamin and Eric, I’m with you guys on this one. On a microscopic level one would find SS molecules and particles attached to the iron no mater how well it was wiped or washed as the iron is never a completely smooth surface. Also, grease splatters of a different oil than what is being used for seasoning will cure out with a different color.

Power brushing would probably leave behind much much more SS residue than hand brushing that would become part of the cast iron surface.

Hilditch

After looking at your last pictures I kinda agree to try the vinegar it may slightly etch the surface to help the seasoning stick ?

Here's one to think about, how does Teflon stick to the pan :mrgreen:

Another update on my experiment...So, the cooking surface, while ugly, is functional.

1lQA6ur.jpg

THAT is what I'm talkin' about!

Well done, Spurgeon.
Steve

I hesitated with posting this reply as it may not be a solution to regular cast iron pieces. I have experimented with nickel plated pieces and had good success.
I posted my solution of removing splotchy nickel plating from the cooking surface back in January of this year and several viewers seemed anxious to try it but have not seen any other post regarding their success.
Anyway....Here's the link should any of you desire to try it on a regular piece of CI for removing light/dark spots.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3178&highlight=valve+grinding

If you try it please try it on a piece that is of less or no value. I would not want something to happen to a collection piece that is of great value and feel responsible for ruining it.

Back