What do I do with this?

Denise C

I found this at an estate sale this morning for I hope not too much money. I have never seen the plated Griswolds up close and personal before. Is the plating on the inside worn off or were they plated less than the outside? Is it in good, fair or poor condition? It almost looks like unseasoned CI on the cooking surface, yet it also looks like it might have been plated. I'm clueless. Do I season it? Do I just cook with it? How do I care for it? Do I sell it because I really like my bare CI or do I keep it because I don't have a Griswold Breakfast Skillet? How does plated CI differ from the bare stuff when cooking? Thanks in advance for your patience with all my questions.

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The links are not to image files. Copying the URL will not work. There should be a link associated with the image for copying and using elsewhere.

OK, they're fixed now. That one is in remarkable condition. It does not appear to be worn much at all, as most plated skillets are seen. The brownish stain might just be cooking residue.

A quick lye bath would be all it needs. Intact plating should not be affected by electrolysis, but it does not appear to be in any way necessary here. You might even try extra fine steel wool first on the stained areas and see if that's all they need. Plated pieces do not require seasoning. If there are areas worn to bare iron, a little oiling to prevent them from rusting is advisable.

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/plated.php

A quick lye bath would be all it needs. Plated pieces do not require seasoning.

It appears seasoning has started on the cooking surface. Is there a reason not to season the cooking surface and keep the outside clean?

Hilditch

Cleaned it up with a little vinegar and steel wool. Definitely plated. The darkest tiny spots are where the plating is very thin. So I should just oil and use it??? Or cook bacon in it. :chuckle:

Last edited:
Plated pieces do not require seasoning in the same sense as the manually applied coat or coats we bake onto bare iron, which is more about rustproofing and an initial base to begin cooking on. It will, however, become seasoned over time if it is not cleaned back to the chrome each time it's used.

Back