Looking for a CI coffee roaster

SRFrancis

I have roasted coffee beans for espresso for a few years now. Hillbilly style, 18in stainless bowl and a 1500W heat gun does the job and I can roast a weeks worth of beans at a time.
I've been looking for a functional CI roaster lately. Roasting produces a lot of chaff making it a messy indoor endeavor using my current method. Most that I've found on line are in Europe, etsy and ebay, and the shipping is a big number. My budget is limited. Any leads or suggestions?
Thanks, Steve

Re: looking for a CI coffee roaster

Don't know if you would be in awe if you saw me covered in chaff wielding my yellow heat gun Donna.
GC I have never used one or seen one live. It's a bit of overkill for me. My wife drinks caffeine, doesn't matter the vehicle to deliver it so I don't roast beans for her drip coffee, and I only drink 1 or 2 single espressos a day. A cup and a half of beans lasts me a whole week. Nice to know someone else that appreciates the taste of fresh roasted beans.
Do you blend or use single source? I order beans online from Burman, right now I'm blending Costa Rican la pastora, Kenyan peabody, and Indonesian Sumatra, equal parts.

Don't know if you would be in awe if you saw me covered in chaff wielding my yellow heat gun Donna.
GC I have never used one or seen one live. It's a bit of overkill for me. My wife drinks caffeine, doesn't matter the vehicle to deliver it so I don't roast beans for her drip coffee, and I only drink 1 or 2 single espressos a day. A cup and a half of beans lasts me a whole week. Nice to know someone else that appreciates the taste of fresh roasted beans.
Do you blend or use single source? I order beans online from Burman, right now I'm blending Costa Rican la pastora, Kenyan peabody, and Indonesian Sumatra, equal parts.

I roast for Pour Over, Aeropress, and Keurig refillable cups (for my wife) so, I don't blend. I buy from Captain's Coffee and Sweet Maria's (usually). Some of my favorite are Costa Rica Tarrazu, Bali Blue Moon, Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, or whatever's available. Right now we're finishing up a couple pounds of Yirgacheffe. I have 4 boys (mid to late 40's) and when they are up with the families we keep the roaster working!!!

I'll get a Charbucks from time to time just to remind myself how bad a bad cup of coffee can be:-D:-D:tongue:

I"ll have to check out Burman.

"Charbucks!" I couldn't agree more, and I'm in the Seattle area!

Some I like are:
Stumptown-- https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/ (Portland, OR)
Cartel Coffee--https://cartelcoffeelab.com/ (Phoenix, AZ)
Tony's Coffee--https://tonyscoffee.com/ (Bellingham, WA)

:coffee:

I'll get a Charbucks from time to time just to remind myself how bad a bad cup of coffee can be:-D:-D:tongue:

Yeah, I hit my thumb with a hammer ever once in a while just to remind myself that it hurts.

I prefer a nice light roast on my beans (more caffeine). I haven't taken up roasting my own yet, but have been thinking about starting.

Let's be mindful and respectful of the original topic and poster of this thread, who is looking for information on a cast iron coffee roaster, not other options and the locations of coffee shops, etc.

Back