Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Default What happened here

Cleaned in lye, followed the seasoning method that iv'e used before which i got from this site which worked great, but for some reason the pan turned out like this, any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: What happened here

Did it look blotchy like that before it was seasoned? The color makes me think it was previously scoured with a brass brush or scrubber. Electro might take it off.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 AM

Is this a plated skillet?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM

So i'm not sure if it's nickle plated. The bronze color came with the seasoning. The blotches or discoloration in the bottom of the pan were there before seasoning. Its a wagner sidney -0-. Whats happens if its nickle plated?

Kinda looks like this pan from an earlier post called seasoning nightmare.
Quote:
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM

If I am stepping on toes, let me know. I am not looking to high jack this thread, but wondered if this is similar. And this thread made me think of it. One of my skillets appears to have developed a stain of sorts, and I am not sure how. So again along the same "theme", what happened here? Should I strip it to bare and start over?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stain.jpg (48.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_K View Post
One of my skillets appears to have developed a stain of sorts, and I am not sure how.
If it was not there before (but after you seasoned it), but is now, it should be removable. Try boiling some water and see if that softens it enough for a spatula to scrape off.

The pans in posts #1 and #4 are not nickel plated, but I have more than one griddle that looks like the one in post #4, whose lighter colored blotches appear to be some kind of erosion. The pan in post #1 still looks like brass transfer to me, but the photo could be misleading.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_K View Post
One of my skillets appears to have developed a stain of sorts, and I am not sure how.
Can you tell if it's a stain, or the seasoning has actually come off in that area? As Doug D. said, if it's just crusted on something or other, you can just hot water clean it.

What did you season this pan with? I've seen photos of Flaxseed oil seasoning chipping off that looked like this.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 AM

Took it out of the lye bath and cleaned it up again. No seasoning this time and it still has a light bronze tint. If it was a bronze transfer would that cause it not to darken when seasoned and will electrolysis otake that off along with the blotches?

[IMG]
image by jaylee9112, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] image by image by jaylee9112, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Site Admin

Although I have not had to deal with it personally, I would try electro first. I have read, from an apparently reliable source, that running the piece through a SCO cycle will take the brass transfer off, even though the melting point of brass is a good bit higher. If brass is indeed what it is-- looking at the largest photo, I'm still not absolutely certain.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
Can you tell if it's a stain, or the seasoning has actually come off in that area? As Doug D. said, if it's just crusted on something or other, you can just hot water clean it.

What did you season this pan with? I've seen photos of Flaxseed oil seasoning chipping off that looked like this.
No flaxseed here, Just Crisco, but this one was done before I started bumping it up to 425 to season, then 500. (Method on this one was 225 then thin coat applied and left on till i bumped it up to 400 or so.) Needless to say I have had a much better outcome with the Doug D. seasoing method described on the main site.

I may have to put it in the oven to get all to boiling temp. I used the boil method on a 7 the other night first to get more familiar with what was going to happen. I like the method, very thorough.