Popcorn success

Steve O.

I have been cooking a fair amount of popcorn--especially since learning that doing so is good for helping seasoning on cast iron. I had mixed success in terms of popped kernels, burning the popcorn, etc. I experimented with different fats (olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil--been using grapeseed lately). I had my best success with a #8 Wagner dutch oven, but did not have good results with larger skillets until recently. I read about the bella copper heat diffuser and thought it might be helpful in heating the bottom of larger pans more evenly and, even though I have good star shaped gas burners (that heat a bit more evenly than ring burners from what I can gather), I thought it also might be helpful in avoiding flame damage to the underside of my pans. Therefore, i bought a 10# copper square heat diffuser from bella copper. It takes longer to heat up the pans, however, the heat seems much more evently distributed and my success with popcorn has increased dramatically. It has made my #11 Erie Skillet into a wonderful popcorn maker and due to the decrease in unpopped kernels, my wife is complaining that I am making too much (despite using a bit less quantity of kernels). Anyway, this may be old hat to others here, or perhaps I would be even better off preheating skillets in the oven for this purpose, but I thought I would share my experience in the event it is helpful. I know the Bella Copper plates are a bit pricey, but it is hard to beat copper for fast and even heat distribution so I thought it would be worth the experiment.

On a home stove burner it gets increasingly difficult to get even heat out to the edges of any skillet with over an 8” cooking surface. More time helps but does not result in a completely even temperature cooking surface. Thus a diffuser is good for the larger pieces to help even out the heat. Glad your Bella is working for you. I’m getting spoiled by a round bottom 3 qt. kettle for popcorn.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Got me. As I sit here typing with my right hand only. Butter on the left hand.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Eating popcorn is just like getting ice cubes out of the freezer. Might as well just throw the first one on the floor and get it over with.

Hilditch

Steve, what lid did you use for your #11 Erie? Is it a Griswold or did you find another that worked?

Hi Bonnie,

I have been lazy and have not gotten a proper lid for it. However, we have a lightweight circular baking sheet whose bottom fits just inside the side walls of the #11"Erie". It actually works great! While the "ears" of the skillet are not completely covered, for popcorn that may be a virtue....

Back