Chicken noodle soup

Steven C

Noodle or dumpling? You call it. As far as cast iron was used it was just to brown the onion and chicken. Deglazed skillet for a little extra flavor and added to the broth. Noodles were my grandmas homemade egg noodles and I usually add celery to soup but didn't have on hand. The noodles you can do what ever way you want. Roll them thin, thick, or pinch off bite size pieces off the ball of dough as well as long or short.

Hope the pictures look as good as it tasted :glutton:

Steve,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 21
No recipe, however the pics tell me that this is a very rich noodle chicken soup and you had fun making the noodles. You tried to add most of them separately to the pot. Mildly savory with a touch of sweet. 100% comfort food where you can tell the noodles taste different than the chicken. The jury is still out on wether that is broth or gravy at the end.

I can understand a building desire for this where a substitute just won’t work. I get that way about grandma’s chicken & dumplings, among other things.

Hilditch

I thought about trying to add a bit of recipe last night but I never measure dinner type food. About the only time I do is when I bake. As a kid I've never seen anyone in the family do it, and I just thought it was normal way to cook. As a kid i spent a lot of time In the kitchen watching and talking. Most kids now days live on their phone or playing a x-box and never see outside the box.

Some of The stock for this batch I had frozen from when I boiled a chicken for something else a while back. * just can't pour out good stock, I'm frugal * I had about five chicken thighs last night that I seared a few minutes on each side and added to stockpot and added what water I needed brought up to a boil and then down to a simmer. Base spices are salt, pepper, celery salt I made, and parsley.

As far as vegetables its usually what I have on hand but most of the time I always add about 4-5 stalks of celery but at the near the last 20-30 minutes or the will break down to nothing. Same as the boned chicken last 5 minutes so it doesn't shred apart. I will also add 2-3 celery stalks and a few from the heart and chop a fare amount of the leaves and add at the beginning.
The noodles are just flour, egg, salt and a splash of water. How much and how many depends on what you need. I'll start with 6 large eggs beating with teaspoon of salt? I use the palm of my hand. splash of water maybe 3 tablespoons? Add flour 2/3 cup at a time or what ever cup i grab mix with fork and keep adding flour till it comes off the sides of bowl and starts to make a ball. Dump out on bench a knead while adding what flour it will still take till you start to get a smooth elastic ball. Stick back in bowl cover with towel and stick in refrigerator to rest a hour or longer. Roll out with pin and cut to size with a pizza cutter.

Bring pot back up to boil and add some noodles and stir and repeat so they don't stick together. Then reduced heat and 25-35 minutes. when their done depends on how thick you roll then

Steve,

Last edited:
Does look yummy, Steven! My Mother-in-law cooked that way--some of this and some of that--result, fabulous! Thanks for sharing, although now I want some too!!:tasty:

Hilditch, on the broth it will get a little body to it from the flour used to roll out the noodles but not thick, about 1/2 of this was reduced a second time and good and rich. If you like to add corn at times you can shave a fresh ear and sauté in skillet and add to pot. One thing about soup it can be anyway you want to make it.

I think that recipe is just fine. Getting it good is called cooking and that is the way it should be. Baking can be more critical but most cooking does not need a set of measuring spoons, a clock or an exact temperature if you know what you’re doing.

Hilditch

Thanks all for the kind words, it dawned on me as I was doing yard work today that I forgot to mention you can also substitute vegetable oil for the splash of water. It will give your noodle a bit of a different body. To me cooking is a sport, that I'm always looking to conquer and win. Remember experiment, keep it fun and challenge your self in the kitchen. What it seems to boil down to at home is feeding that voice in your belly. When it tells you WOW that was good you know you're 80% there. When other people rave, you know you hit it out of the park.

Back