America Test Kitchen...Cast Iron Cooking....

CDLaine

In case you missed it...I enjoyed the New York strip and spatchcocked chicken....worth a watch. (especially the steak !). :glutton:

Late edit...oops ! meant to place this is cast iron cooking section.... apologies.

Charles

https://youtu.be/4GodDrUkRQQ

Last edited:
Good idea SR... I already own the 920 page 2001-2014 Complete TV Show CookBook...excellent resource. ..back then they were fans of Staub and Lodge Logic.. but Chris Kimball moved on since then and the latest reviews have changed recommendations, but, pretty much follows "you get what you pay for".

... I'll check out the Cast Iron cooking text..funny thing..lil' brother just sent me a link today to the book. Ha !

Charles

Just for follow-up....

Tonight I tried cast iron skillet rib-eye a la America Test Kithen recipe....

-Pre-heat skillet in oven to 500 degrees
-Salt steak while waiting... then pat dry
-2 Tablespoons canola oil in skillet at medium high
-when skillet starts to smoke add steaks, seasoned side down (then season the up side)
- each side for 2 minutes at medium high... then medium low...
-turn every 2 minutes (in my case for 10 minutes...I use timer).
-pulled at medium rare (125 degrees on instant read thermometer).
-rest under foil tent x 10 minutes after generous application of garlic butter...

also, enameled cast iron sauteed mushrooms...

- garlic butter in dutch oven...
-"Beef better than Bouillon" (2 teaspoons in 2 cups H20)
-bay leaf
-teaspoon ground pepper
-1/2 teasoon Thyme
-thickened with Bob's Red Mill Arrow root starch (1 teaspoons in 1/4 cup water).

If you are inclined.... perfect meal. Restaurant quality. I served it with Pinot Noir. Bride says ... "delicious".

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/dtDh7

Check out America Test Kitchen's "Cook it in Cast Iron". Great cookbook.

I have this book. I love it! Not just the recipes but the first section is a great read with all kinds of tips and ideas as well as interesting explainations. Great book for learning to cook in cast iron or just wanting to know a bit more.

Back