Fried chicken and waffles

W. Hilditch

If you are going “Huh?”, just Google it and you will learn a bit about what you are missing. I’m glad I had the two gallon cauldron as those two chicken breasts were huge. Juicy fried chicken and sweet grandma’s waffles are a fantastic combo.

Hilditch

Another great food photo from Hilditch! Please tell me, what is the little red covered pan to the right of your DO? (Am not stopping to be jealous--must go fix food... :tasty:)

Sharon, that is a rare Descoware syrup warmer. Now they are on eBay all the time but the rarity comes into play when one is found without a chip.

Hilditch

Thanks for the answer, Hilditch. Your Descoware collection is very nice--once more, am fighting green eyed monster. (I do remind it that you've looked and worked hard to find your nice pieces!)

Hilditch -- thanks for posting. I'm going to try to introduce my kids to this over the weekend.

I am not an experienced fryer -- how much oil do you fry those breasts in? Do you completely submerge them or fry them in a shallow pool and flip?

Also, the last time I tried to use my waffle iron I ended up with a sticky mess. How much (and what type of) oil do you apply to your irons?

Mike, trust me on this one - you don’t want to be working to get waffles right while frying chicken. Do your kids a favor and use frozen waffles.

Read the recipe for grandma’s waffles below and other waffle cooking threads on this site. When you have a couple of hours you need to find the right heat, timing and technique for you. Screwing up a few is normal and cleaning between waffles can be time consuming. There are too many variables to cover so you need to get a feel for it.

In the pick above about 1 qt of oil was used to get 1” and the breasts were flipped. Anywhere from 1/4” of oil to deep fry works. Too much heat is a killer so med-low’ish is more better. Listen to the chicken cooking. The change in tone will tell you when it is done. Good luck.

Hilditch

Thanks for the tips and thread references. I agree that trying to do too many new things at once is not ideal. Using frozen waffles just didn't seem right, so I spent some time this morning and was able to figure out the waffle iron. Not enough heat was my problem. They're not falling out, but they pop out after two or three gentle prods with a table fork. I'm thinking it will get easier as the seasoning builds on the irons.

Chicken and waffles are now on the agenda for next weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139658521@N07/shares/P2p94H

Last edited:
There you go. The table fork is my main tool. If you get a chance this week you might want to do another practice batch. You may just find that Mike’s Frozen Waffles are pretty good and handy to have in the freezer. Good luck.

Hilditch

Back