Sloppy Joes

W. Hilditch

Here is a recipe that sounds good even though I’ve never tried it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220182/homemade-sloppy-joes/

We don’t need over two lbs when completed so a lb. of ground beef is plenty. I’d change it to regular ground beef as the higher fat content has more flavor, but will need to be drained. Of course the meat should get a head start getting browned before adding the onions. Other ingredients like salt have to be adjusted. I’d also switch the ketchup for tomato sauce and two cups of water sounds like too much to boil off.

I’ve been liking sloppy joes for 55 years. Tonight I could play with this recipe and take my chances, but why experiment and play with changes to the above recipe when I have not even tried it as written? It can’t get better than perfect so I’ll just add a can of Manwich Original to the browned beef. As the flavors meld I can wonder why people make changes to recipes they never tried, and/or even suggest that others try them.

Hilditch

Looks like a pretty good recipe to me, too. I change the ground beef to 80/20, but otherwise wouldn't mess with it on the first go round, either. Let us know how it turns out.

Good man Kevin. Will be interested to hear the results.

For the fist time tonight we used paper sandwich wraps with overloaded sloppy joes. They helped a lot by removing some anxiety and fallout, but the sandwich remained true to its name even though I only had to use one napkin.

Hilditch

Back