Fun Cooking

W. Hilditch

What piece of cast iron is your most fun piece? The one that brings the most smiles when you are using it to cook. You may not use it often but when you do there are happy vibes.

Mine is a round bottom, 3 legged kettle used last night for chili mac. First I boiled the pasta in it. Drained and browned the ground beef with onions, green peppers and garlic. Added the pasta back with spices and diced tomatoes. Cooked for a bit and let rest. Used one kettle and one wood slotted scoop made from a butter paddle. That’s all. Happy cooking and some good New Mexico chili mac. Just a tad too hot!

Hilditch

Hilditch, what a handsome old pot! So much for not being able to use old utensils on a new stove!:wink: And I bet the chili-mac was yummy! Thanks for sharing food ideas with us again.

Sharon, my pot and stove thank you for the compliments. Some think the pot is ugly and weird, and the stove at 16 years old is outdated. If I remember correctly, your stove has a few years on mine; but hey, we know them and they work! My stove is a millennial, but doesn’t act like one.

Hilditch

We usually talk vintage cast iron here, but the most fun I have cooking in cast iron is my Lodge Wok. I usually cook a stir fry of some sort in it so the active cooking and the good design on the wok make it a fun experience.

Adam, I’m glad to know there are at least two of us out of 2,000 members that have a piece of fun cast iron.

I should give honorable mention to my early 1880’s Griswold waffle irons knowing they are 4 generations old and could have been used by my great, great grandmother is fun (yes, I’ve used them on my 1880’s stove - more fun); and my size 0 skillets too.

Hilditch

Hillditch, I saw this page and it reminded me of you. The little apple tarts look like something you would make. The little cookies look good too.
http://www.pnpflowersinc.com/2013/09/Mini-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Recipes.html

Something like those or a waffle iron would be fun to use. Don't have a WI yet but I did pick up one of those little ones a week or two ago at a yard sale around the corner. A Wagner made in USA nothing special but for .25 I thought I'd bring it home. Now just 11 more and I'm good to go :grin:

Steven, I suggest trying out the one you have a few times late in the evening after all are in bed purely to get a handle on it’s cooking characteristics; for the sake of others of course. You may find you only need 3 more as they cook pretty fast!

Hilditch

I don't even remember whose name is on this - Cajun or Bayou - so I'm sure it wasn't USA made or even old, but it's probably my most fun CI cooking piece. Almost like a griddle, but with a very shallow bow. Legs can be screwed in to use over a campfire or coals.

Discadas010_zps93f287b0.jpg

Discadas009_zps83b97988.jpg

DiscadaBreakfast005_zpsa964c01a.jpg

Hilditch I'll have to give that little one a try. I'll clean it up when I find myself another piece. Got a griddle still waiting for me to do and I'll do them all at same time. I don't have the room for a lye bath at the moment in the garage. Got a old car in there I like to piddle with and need to rearrange my old one car garage. Still hard to imagine all the suff/junk I sold out of there the last 2 years, including a 351 Cleveland, 1970 Mach1 fenders and I don't even own a ford.

Steven, if you have a rt. rear fender for a ’40 Ford sedan delivery in your garage, let me know.

For the first time this year I did a lye bath for a tea pot. I’m much happier with EasyOff. It works just as well and disposal is much easier with paper towels in the plastic bag than dealing with 4 gallons of lye when one has a septic tank. Especially for very few pieces per year.

Kevin, I like your gridwok!

Hilditch

Hilditch I mostly have Chevy stuff and stick most with the 67-69 Camaros, I don't do a lot of the parts much anymore. Not as plentiful as they were 30 years ago when you could find a decent 68-9 Z/28 for $3000. I'm trying to simplify my need list, like I really need four extra Muncie 4 speeds in the garage floor :shootself:

The easy off is easier for me at the moment as well.

Wow, Kevin! What a trip--always something new out there in CI land! Thanks for sharing--and I bet folks love what you cook on it! (Yeah, I know, too many exclamation points...)

Another one pot dinner from my kettle for a warm summer night on the porch. Chicken pasta salad. Cook up the pasta, fry a large breast, remove bones & skin & dice. Mix both with onions, celery, pecan chips & mayo and chill overnight for the flavors to blend.

Hilditch

Back