Glove/Mit Suggestions?

DLipscomb

Does anyone have any suggestions for heat resistant gloves or mitts to wear when handling hot cast iron during the seasoning process?

I have a pair of silicone mitts with a bit of insulation in them but I find them quite large and bulky.

I also have a pair of insulated cloth gloves with little strips of silicone for grip but I end up getting lard on them during seasoning which inevitably makes a mess of things!

I am searching for something sized for a ladies hand but will welcome any suggestions!

Thanks so much!
Donna

I bought a big stack of potholders at a yard sale 5 for a dollar because they tend to get oily and then they don't work. This way I can just use them until they are too gross then toss it and get another.

Thanks Bonnie, that's a great idea! I don't have much patience for yard sales but my husband does so I'll put that on his radar while he's searching for iron! Maybe even old towels would be helpful too.

Donna
I can vouch for the old towels. They work and if you wash them occasionally they last through several cycles.

Jack

Does anyone have any suggestions for heat resistant gloves or mitts to wear when handling hot cast iron during the seasoning process?

I wear uninsulated leather work gloves, just so that I can't make a mistake and get bare flesh on the CI. Then augment with either pot holder or towel. Sure like Bonnie's idea on the pot holders and yard sales idea!

She's a veteran here, I'm a newbie, so take that for what it's worth.

Steve

I have used the kitchen grip for several years. Works very well and even wet will not convert the heat to steam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 54
I have used the kitchen grip for several years. Works very well and even wet will not convert the heat to steam.

My son-in-law has a pair of these and he uses them when cooking on his Big Green Egg. He swears by them so they must be good.
I do the Bonnie method and it too works. I sewed 6 individuals together and use it as a matt to set my hot iron on especially when seasoning, easier to control the piece and has a larger area to manipulate it when upside down.

I can vouch as well for a pot holder and some old towels, washing and throwing away when necessary. I also have some old firefighting gloves handy. They work very well, haha

I am very happy to see the various suggestions to avoid excessive heat, although I didn't ask the question.
Ouch!!! Michael, did your hand survive? Bummer!!

Immediate pain, followed by immediate release. Plus the pan was in free fall when I grabbed it so it fell out of my grip fast. Most of the time ice cubes and then tons of fresh aloe will usually reduce the burn if its not a bad 2nd degree burn in my experience.

Back