#8 Dutch Oven

TyHiggins

I have no idea as to a maker, it is of high quality, and lighter than the #8 Ozark DO (I paid $35 for the pair, no lids). Any idea as to a maker?

Last edited:
Sorry my picture taker isn't around. Anyway I figured the style of the marking might tell the tale. It's hard to see in that pic, but it says DUTCH above the OVEN, same spacing as the NO.8. Almost looks like they used a typeset mold, the way the front letters are just a bit off lining up, I've never seen a piece marked that way. And what's with the 2 down there all offset at 6:30, gives it a character I like. The handles for the bail are similar to an old Griswold or my Ozark, thinner cast and wide open, the bail seems a hair thinner than the norm and pretty basic how it wraps around the handles. It has a small pouring tab on the rim, really thin cast and crisp in detail. It's fairly high walled compared to my Ozark DO, so more bottom surface area, but the same in height. My gut would say it's a 1930's-40's piece, possibly a store brand, what I'd consider stellar quality wise.

The "Dutch Oven No 8" look like they might be stamped instead of cast.

At any rate, I won't hazard a guess without seeing more of the piece.

Cast iron cookware isn't stamped, but I would say the markings were likely made in the pattern-- probably aluminum-- that way. I've always assumed markings in later pieces from Wagner and Griswold were the result of stamped rather than carved patterns. The marking of this piece seems familiar to me, but from where I don't know.

There's really nothing distinguishing about it Ken, it looks about like any other older high quality DO. The markings on the bottom are the only feature to really go by. Anyway if Doug can't ID it, it's officially a mystery piece.

Back