Garage Sale Finds

Jeff S.

I normally don't go to random garage sales looking for iron (too many baby clothes and toys) but am always checking ads for good sales or ones that have cast iron in the listing. Went to a sale a few weeks ago that had a couple pieces listed and ended up buying a Lodge dutch oven, camp oven and Wagner aluminum steak platter all for $29. I figured as long as I was out I would hit a few more sales on my way home. After stopping at several sales that reinforced my reasons for not going to most garage sales I finally had some luck. Had perfect timing and found a Griswold #10 skillet and a saucepan the lady said they had just put out before I got there. Bought them both for $2.50 each.;) She was even nice enough to give me some cleaning tips for them... "take some salt and a piece of potato ...".:roll: I thanked her but told her I had other methods I could use. The Griswold cleaned up better than expected and since I already have a #10 like this and I don't collect aluminum everything is just more inventory for my big sale in the fall.

http://imgur.com/a/iyPZK

I don't like cooking on aluminum at all,but that plate looks perfect,I would keep it as display,$2.50,nothing to lose.

I don't like cooking on aluminum at all,but that plate looks perfect,I would keep it as display,$2.50,nothing to lose.

Fortunately if I ever need a platter to eat my steak off of I have three different sizes of Griswold iron steak platters to choose from.:)

Unfortunately I maxed out my wifes allowed display space years ago with a bunch of Griswold pieces.:frown:

Jeff, you've just explained the value/fascination of garage sales! Most of my collection came from that source. Now that Griswold #10: $2.50??? But then, it was all grungy... <sigh>

Back