I Bring Home a Cripple

I found the pan of my dreams today at the giant Canton festival -- a large logo Griswold #4 in very good condition. Unfortunately the seller wanted $140 and I would have passed at $70.

So instead I took home this #3, helping to complete my collection.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8la41n92isjfu3p/IMG_20170401_192535287.jpg?dl=0

As you see, there's no need for a flashlight to detect the flaw. I bought it anyway because -- don't laugh -- I kinda felt sorry for it. WELL, I DID!! Sue me.

The seller acknowledged the flaw and accepted my offer, but insisted it wasn't a crack. True enough, it's not visible on the cooking side, and he seems to know his way​ round iron (and suckers, LOL).

This guy who sold me the #3 today used a similar term ... A casting something ....

I'll cook an egg tomorrow and see if it explodes, LOL. If you don't hear from me again, that's what happened!

"Casting shift"! That's what the seller claimed. I thought he was playing me a little bit, and I didn't really mind.

Thanks for clearing that up, though.

Of course, you have to take my word for it since you can't examine it personally, but is there a way I can confirm that that's what it is and not a full blown crack? I assume a real crack of that size would be visible on the cooking surface, right?

I have several that I saved for display only with cracks, pitting, etc just because I felt sorry for them. I've even given $5 for a Vollrath #5 that had a hole rusted all the way through it! Looks good on my display! This weekend I gave $4 for one I haven't ID yet just because it's a super light #7 made like a Vollrath but extensive fire damage. I mean it's crusty and out of round!

Back