Next Step Advice Please

Gordon M

Hey...started cleaning this skillet with Easy off and it went well...my question is if I need to do inside edges more? Then should I do a vinegar bath (looks to have minimal rust)? What about the back (i didn't do anything to it so far as it looked like it was keeping its shine)? Best oil to use for seasoning? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3571-min.JPG
    IMG_3571-min.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3572-min.JPG
    IMG_3572-min.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 51
Another round (or two) of Easy Off on the inside would be advisable. Don't worry about rust, it's only flash rust from the bare iron now being exposed to air. The good thing about lye and oven spray is the pH is very high and that inhibits rust formation. Any flash rust after you've removed the rest of the buildup will wipe off when you initially season it.

Related: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php#initial

So I have gotten all of the old stuff off with the easy off and here is what i have...ready to season but what to do about this mild rusting? Wash with dawn dry quickly and get in oven?

Attachments

• rust-min.jpg
    rust-min.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 33
So I have gotten all of the old stuff off with the easy off and here is what i have...ready to season but what to do about this mild rusting? Wash with dawn dry quickly and get in oven?

In my opinion ...Looks like you're rushing the cleaning process somewhat. The pour spouts still have some crud left on them but concentrated application of oven cleaner and some vigorous scrubbing will alleviate those built up areas.
Rust areas can usually be eliminated with a mild solution of vinegar and water then rinse thoroughly and dry with paper towels. Turning the pan upside down over a very low heat will further dry all the moisture and then again wipe with paper towel to remove as much residue as possible. After that process you should be ready to apply your seasoning oil (I use grape seed oil) but each to his own. Again try to remove as much of your seasoning oil with paper towels prior to putting it in the oven for your seasoning process. It will take time to do a proper cleaning and seasoning but eventually one will get the process down to a repetitive process and cleaning and seasoning will become an easy task. Good luck.

Back