Heat Before Seasoning

Chris DeYoung

How important is it to heat a pan before applying the first light oil coat, for an initial seasoning after completely stripping a pan?

I ask because I'm having a problem with flash rust on the bare metal---after stripping I pull it out and rinse it off, great, but in the time it takes to dry it and pre-heat it for seasoning I already have a light dusting of rust on much of it. Is it a big deal if I put a very light coat of oil on it as soon as it's dry, no extra heating, and then season normally thereafter?

Use cold water when you rinse your iron. Rust will not form as fast this way. As Doug said previously, it isn't that much on a deal.

If this does bother you, when you go to season it, have two rags for oiling and another to wipe the today from the pan. Use one to place the initial oil on pan. Then wipe the oil/rust off. Do this a couple of times until little to no rust wipes off. Use the other clean rag to do your normal seasoning.

Season as normal after.

Here in Florida we run 80 - 90 percent humidity all the time. Flash rust can be a real pain. I simply dry my pieces off with an oily rag. Then I wipe it off with a very dry rag to remove any excess oil. Heat the pan to finish the drying process and make sure I didn't miss any spots. If I end up with some rust, I simply rub the pan firmly with my applicator rag.

I think in the context of heating a pan that's already completely dry prior to applying the seasoning oil, it depends on what oil/fat you're using to season. Something that's solid at room temperature like lard or Crisco, you need it heated so a layer melts onto the pan when you apply it.

But an oil that's liquid at room temp like grapeseed or canola, preheating before applying is not required just for the sake of applying the oil. In that case the only benefit from preheating is ensuring it's completely dry; it takes very little heat to do that, if already toweled off.

Thanks everyone! I've been using grapeseed to season. I won't worry about getting it too hot first, though some is good, and I won't worry about a bit of rust that reappears (I'm sure it's not nearly as bad here as it would be in Florida!).

Back