ID Help for a New User

Chris DeYoung

Hi all,

I'm new here, and hoping for a little help identifying a couple of pieces.

The first I'm pretty sure is a Korean knockoff, from what I've been able to find. The cooking surface is pretty smooth---much better than a modern Lodge, not quite as smooth as my vintage Wagner:

The other one is more interesting, maybe --- unmarked 10 1/4" square skillet, looks like a Lodge-ish shape, more or less. Also pretty smooth on the cooking surface. "2" on the underside of the handle. "Made in USA" and "10 1/4", "Square skillet" are the only markings.

Thanks!!!
-Chris

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Oops, sorry about the image size!! I assumed it would re-size for display....

Thanks everyone! Great info... now, as I look for the quality vintage stuff, I suspect my challenge will be to avoid overpaying on eBay in my enthusiasm... :)

A true collector walks away from more pieces than they buy. But it can be an expensive lesson to learn.

I don’t know any history about the “Classic” line of Korean cast iron cookware. But me and my former wife received a full set when we got married in 1986. I still have the Dutch oven and the 2 quart size saucepan. I gave the skillets to my Son a few years back. I still use the pieces I have because they are well seasoned and work great for deep frying. They have the unfinished texture. Yes I will give my Son a nicer set when he matures and settles down! I have a couple more pieces of “Classic” that I found cheap that were machined smooth. My take is that they probably started out machining their pans and by 1986 when I received my set they had stopped the polishing process to save labor cost.

Thanks everyone! Great info... now, as I look for the quality vintage stuff, I suspect my challenge will be to avoid overpaying on eBay in my enthusiasm... :)
Always check locally first for good deals. Yard sales, thrift stores, antique malls. Antique malls are better than antique stores. There is a difference.

You have to be disciplined for eBay, lol. I know from experience, as well as others on this site can tell you, I'm sure.

Back