Your user size needs

Do you "need" all the different sizes, from a user's perspective? No. One medium and one large pan, like a #8 and a #10, is sufficient to cook most anything you'll do in a skillet, with maybe a smaller #3 or #5 if you prefer smaller skillets when you can get away with it.

But, as shown by other posts on this thread, there are various things that the other sizes may do better than the common ones. You could still cook it in one of your main users, but you just get better results in a pan just a little larger or smaller.

And then there's some degree of personal preference as well, so YMMV.

I guess it's kinda like golf clubs - you don't need every size iron to play, but people get them anyway when they want to refine their game, to have the best size for a broader set of situations.

I'm a newbie, so take this for what it is worth.

I recently restored a #12 Lodge, and it is too big to work well on my induction stove. Despite letting the pan heat for 10 minutes, there was a clear delineation where the heat line stopped - one half of the item was cooked, the other half (in the part of the pan beyond the heating element) was underdone.

All of you that have posted have made some very valid points. I also understand a lot of you have a certain favorite, I do too. There are a few more sizes I'd like to work with and see if it seems to work with me. I do have a pair of #8's I use at the same time often, and a pair of 8's seems pretty good unless you're "Wild Bill" Hickok at the card table.

Steve,

It sounds like a pair of 8's is what Jeremy needs. He can keep his #12 for the oven. BTW, I considered using my #12 for my half ham in the oven tomorrow. After considering it's weight + a 7 lb. ham, pulling it in and out for basting 8 or 10 times and the impression it would leave on my SO, I decided the enameled steel roaster would be a better option. With the #12 I would be spending so much time on my knees Susan would think I went religious on her and was worshiping a piece of a pig.

Hilditch

I really feel that 7 or 8...and a #10 are great to start. Big enough to cook and bake.

Now, I also use my #5's (I have two) a lot for things like eggs, melting butter, sautee veggies, or making a or grilled cheese.

I can't seem to find a #4, and I notice you all don't mention them either. Maybe there's no such thing. I have a 3, two 5's a 6 and an 8.

I can't seem to find a #4, and I notice you all don't mention them either. Maybe there's no such thing. I have a 3, two 5's a 6 and an 8.

#4's are around, just harder to find. A local shop near me currently has a Griswold #4 but it's got quite a bit of pitting. Dealer wants $40.

Rob, from what I've read the number 4 are around as Nichole mentioned but often missing in the wild. The people that bought a full set new got 4's, other people Piecing together some skillets then didn't seem to need the expense of a extra mid size small pan.

Doug hopefully will give a better reason why than I made a poor attempt at.

I agree with Steven; by some stroke of luck I wound up with 2 Griswold no. 4 skillets. I cook for 2, and have found that the slightly larger than no. 3 size is really convenient.

In my day to day cooking I find that I use the Nos. 2, 4, 8, and the 10 inch chef skillet the most. The Nos. 9 and 10 skillets and the No. 6 griddle get used weekly, and the Nos. 3, 5, 6, 7, 11 and 12 get used a few times a month. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but No.3s don't do much for me. If I want to cook an egg the No.2 works great, and if I want a pair of eggs, the No.4 is the business. Understandably not everyone has a desire to keep a full set, but I do find that each size has it's use, and none of them get neglected. If I needed to pair down my collection I'd keep size Nos. 4, 8, and 11 plus a chef skillet and griddle.

I have a few different sizes including 8,9,10, and 12 Griswolds. I do tend to use the #10 the most since it seems to be the most common size that fits on my gas stove well and gives enough room to sear.

Back