Sugar Kettle?

I saw one like yours about 25yrs ago at a bed and breakfast in Southern Mississippi. It was used to boil down the sugar cane into syrup. The ones around here in Eastern NC are smaller and were used to wash clothes and they were used at hog killings. Many of them are being destroyed by having holes drilled in them and using them for flower pots. I’m not going to criticize anyone that does it. They payed their money for it they can do whatever they want. But there are better choices for flower pots. These rust away, have to be painted regularly, and if any water is standing in it during a winter freeze. Pop it cracks and bust into pieces. Cast iron doesn’t stretch!

Thanks Russell. From what I can find out online I’m leaning towards it being a sugar kettle. All the ones I’ve seen have Ben in the south. I live in Ct so who knows how it got here. I know what it takes to move it. Someone at some point must have really loved it to move it that far. If any one else has more stories I’d love to hear them.

Back