"Another" Mystery Skillet

MDFraley

Got an early start today to keep a step ahead of the weekend crowd and landed a couple nice (and cheap) pieces of C.I. First was a high base Wards Cast Iron waffle, Sept 15th, 1925, by Wagner. Little dirty but should clean up o.k. ($20). Second piece was a skillet w/ lid. The lid was easy...Martin Stove & Range #8. Skillet is a "no name" Full inset heat ring (no breaks in the ring) w/ a raised letter "Y" @ the 6 o'clock position. Pour spouts are very small (about the same size as a Size 0 on a Griswold Toy Skillet. Handle takes on the style of several skillets (Wagner, Victor, National, Wapak, Oneta ) all around the late 1800's to late 1920's. Top of handle has something raised on it but there are decades of crud build-up on it and I won't know until I get it cleaned up. I'm thinking it is a #7 because the lid was too big to set properly on it but for $25 in was hard to walk away from. I've seen many a post with pictures like the skillet I just described but like everyone else...any guess to help tie down a maker is welcome. Attached are a couple pic's for visual aide.

Attachments

• P2040230 - Copy.jpg
    P2040230 - Copy.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 136
  • P2040231 - Copy.jpg
    P2040231 - Copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 142
I'm not sure, but I believe I've seen similar skillets linked to an early Lodge. I'd wait until you get them cleaned up and then post pictures. Are you sure that's a Y on the bottom or a fancy 7 with a curled top.

Scott

Magnifying glass says it's a "Y" but the crud is so thick and hard I am still not 100%. I'm thinking 30 days in the lye judging from past pieces that weren't half this bad so may be March before I will definitely know.

I was thinking Lodge at first glance but early Lodge didn't have those tiny spouts. It's a mystery to me.

I didn't even look at the spouts Bonnie, I based my opinion on the raised letter, heat ring and handle. You are right about those tiny spouts.

Scott

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

Magnifying glass says it's a "Y" but the crud is so thick and hard I am still not 100%. I'm thinking 30 days in the lye judging from past pieces that weren't half this bad so may be March before I will definitely know.

It's got a lot of history that's for sure. It's waited 90 years to come clean, what's a couple of months?

Scott

Cleaned, Still no I.D.

I got the pieces cleaned and first season yesterday so new pic's attached. I suspected some pitting and sure enough there is some but light compared to some I've seen. I knew the lid was a Martin and it turned out just fine. I am still not certain about the skillet maker. Those tiny pour spouts has got me confused. I set my Griswold size 0 next to it and at the same level just so you all can judge how small they really are. The ribbed handle and the number 8 on top along with the unbroken heat ring all make sense but doesn't go with any other pieces that I currently have and the small spouts make it even more alien. Again....any clues you all may have on its maker?

Attachments

• P2220263 - Copy.jpg
    P2220263 - Copy.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
  • P2220270 - Copy.jpg
    P2220270 - Copy.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 102
Re: Cleaned, Still no I.D.

I've seen them referred to as SMS -- Southern Mystery Skillet. No one seems to know who made them since they have characteristics of a few different makers.

Re: Cleaned, Still no I.D.

I suspect it might be a Martin skillet. The handle style has a strong resemblance to the Martin bacon fryer on page 209 of the RB. If the lid fits it correctly there is a chance they were purchased as a set. Lodge and Martins have a lot of similarities.

Last edited:
I suspect it might be a Martin skillet. The handle style has a strong resemblance to the Martin bacon fryer on page 209 of the RB. If the lid fits it correctly there is a chance they were purchased as a set. Lodge and Martins have a lot of similarities.
The typical Martin handle underside has an elongated scoop profile and a blended rib, which the KSR/Martin bacon fryer has. The mystery skillet has a distinctive rib. I'd agree SMS. Not Blacklock.

Even though I purchased the #8 Martin lid w/ the skillet the lid is about 1/8" too big for the skillet. I have a #7 Martin lid which is about 1/8" too small. I do know it was a side gated skillet from the grind marks along the upper edge. I do appreciate everyone's opinion so for now it looks like a SMS but it sure is a nice one.
Thanks again......

Back