Bacon

DSBradley

What is wrong with pork bacon? I've enjoyed it for years and suffer no ill effects. Also I'm a firm believer that most living beings don't make it out alive so why not enjoy the ride. Remember, it's not the goal but the journey that counts.

What is wrong with pork bacon? I've enjoyed it for years and suffer no ill effects. Also I'm a firm believer that most living beings don't make it out alive so why not enjoy the ride. Remember, it's not the goal but the journey that counts.

I am one of those people who eat relatively healthy and am still a bigger fella. I try to be very conscious of health when cooking. Is their anything wrong with it? No, I love that stuff. It just doesnt love me! :glutton:

Maybe I'll have to get some bacon like Hilditch says, it's been a couple years since I've cooked any... I hear that the WHO is shaking up the bacon market.
This is off-topic for this thread, so I'd suggest we don't go off on a long tangent discussing this, but I did want to point out a very good read on the subject of the WHO and processed meats that helps to put it all in perspective: http://observer.com/2015/11/the-real-story-behind-the-whos-bacon-hating-dont-eat-red-meat-study/

that would be a tough one. not sure I could live without bacon. I try to buy uncured and as natural as possible with out all the nitrates and nitrites and feed a decent diet.

Bacon has become an art or should I say returned to the old smoking methods.
You can buy some good stuff local or on line which will be as healthy as bacon can be. I started cold smoking pork bellies last year as a science experiment so to say. Turned out pretty darn good.

Bacon has become an art or should I say returned to the old smoking methods.
You can buy some good stuff local or on line which will be as healthy as bacon can be. I started cold smoking pork bellies last year as a science experiment so to say. Turned out pretty darn good.
I've made my own bacon a few times and have been thinking that its time I pick up another belly. This cooler weather here in Minnesota is great for a long, slow smoke.

I can't have any of those other "bacons". I can't eat fowl. Tears me up, on the way out. The up side is I get steak at Thanksgiving.

I can't have any of those other "bacons". I can't eat fowl. Tears me up, on the way out. The up side is I get steak at Thanksgiving.
Those "others" are not bacons anyway. "Turkey bacon"... pah!!! Bacon IS pork. Who do they think they're kidding?

Yes, Yorkshire. Nothing exciting Tony. Just an old seasoned steel no name muffin pan from pre-teflon days. The recipe is below with popovers.

Hilditch

Doggone it, Hilditch! I have to remember to not look at your food pics. before breakfast, or lunch or... (Am now ravenous!) I do have to say that the table setting you have shown with the yummy looking steak dinner is gorgeous! You sure you don't feed extraneous folks? :D

Looks like a perfectly cooked piece of prime rib to me.

Steak%20doneness_zpsgqmgpn1a.jpg

I keep my knives so sharp he didn't even know he was missing a piece.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Kevin, I screwed this one up. The outside was ruined. I now do reverse browning that keeps it rare to the crust. Roast at 200°, let rest for a long time and then brown at 475° for 8 to 10 minutes. Ready to serve. More better.

Hilditch

Is is OK to highjack a thread that had highjacked another thread? Seems fair.

let rest for a long time

I just die laughing when I hear this word used in cooking. The first time I heard my sister use it I asked her if it was tired?

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Looks like a perfectly cooked piece of prime rib to me.

Steak%20doneness_zpsgqmgpn1a.jpg

Now you know when a picture is shown in a reverse negative. :icon_scratchchin:

Back