CI Displayed In Your Kitchen? Got a Pic?

BEWARE! One good nail through the sheetrock and into a stud will only hold about 400 lbs. Or, a picture hanger with three pins in the sheetrock only will only hold about a half dozen skillets. Plan on.

Hilditch

Yep. I had a CI drop and crack due to ignorance!! Thankfully it wasn't an expensive one. Am really careful how i store and hang them now!!

I use my grandmothers 19c pie safe.

sorry for the life size image. still trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
We would have liked to hang our pans from some type of rack. I didn't want to mess up the textured wall/ceiling covering. So we decided to use a hutch to display and store. Then I made a skillet stand out of some scrap wood I had, still need to finish it.
Shawn, what is the layout on your countertop rack please. I think that is the way I'd like to do mine also. Thanks

DSBradley,
I've since made a new rack, same design but a little larger and finished better.
cat%20iron%20skillet%20rack%20005.jpg

The sides and dividers are 1 1/2in x 5/8in. The dividers are cut at an angle on the top, I don't know the angle. I basically put the sides together and fastened to the bottom, set a skillet in with the edge flat against the bottom, set a divider against the skillet and mark the angle along the top of the side piece. Then cut the same angle on all dividers.

The outside dimensions are 10 1/4 x 18 1/2 in. Mine needs to be a little longer and the end with the smallest skillet needs to be angled too. My small #5 fits but it's not at the same angle. The bottom board is just an 1/8th in fiber board, kind of like peg board but without the holes. It's just what I had at the time. Everything was put together with glue and a brad nailer.

Spacing of the dividers is set by the individual skillet that will be in that location. If you use brand A skillet size #8 to make the rack, brand B size #8 may not fit as well. It was all just fit and trim as I went along. I am much happier with the second rack I built. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
cat%20iron%20skillet%20rack%20003.jpg

cat%20iron%20skillet%20rack%20004.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

I guess I've added a couple pieces to the cabinet too.
cast%20iron%20cabinet.jpg

Mine came out to be 10 3/4" wide but 10 1/4 would have worked for my #10 skillet & 3 1/2" longer to hold 8 pieces. i put my cross members in vertical and it works fine using this method for spacing. Hight of skillet +1/4", cross member, hight of next skillet +1/4", cross member, etc. Glued and screwed.
This does leave a little wiggle room for a different brand skillet and allows them to sit flat on the bottom side. They all seem to lean back at about the same angle.

As mine are kept in the cupboard I did not use a bottom, but that is wise if it is to be used on a counter.

Hilditch

Here's what : built some kitchen shelfs on casters out of 100 yr old heart pine. Guess you could call it heavy-timber construction. Started out with hooks on the side, now they are creeping across the front, with DOs on the top shelf.

Attachments

• pans2.jpg
    pans2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 202
  • pans3.jpg
    pans3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 251
Here's what : built some kitchen shelfs on casters out of 100 yr old heart pine. Guess you could call it heavy-timber construction. Started out with hooks on the side, now they are creeping across the front, with DOs on the top shelf.
I LOVE it!! Wish I had room for something like that in this little house! I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get my collection off my dining room table.

Thanks Dan. Each section is 6' tall by 4' wide by 2' deep, and built of full dimension 4x4, 2x4, 2x6 lumber and 1" boards, all heart pine, all over 100 yrs old, held together with large bolts, some mortise and tenon joints, some wood pegs - a bit like having a small barn in the kitchen. But after that pine got a coat of tung oil, it turned a rich golden red, and seems like an appropriate setting for a bunch of old iron.

That setup is truly wonderful. With me adding more and more CI to my collection I'm going to have to do something. I've added over 12 pieces this month.

That's amazing Michael. Wish I was good at building such an impressive piece like that!!

How big is that flat one on the bottom? Does it fit in the oven?
That is a lid to a Wagner turkey roaster. I don't have the roaster itself. Not sure what the whole thing weighs but I'm not sure my oven racks would hold the pot with a turkey in it. Just the lid itself weighs abut 8 lbs!

Back