Funny Story from the Field...or, Should I Have Told Him?

I always say I probably walk 2-3 miles doing laps at the flea markets for every pan I buy. Yesterday was one of those days where I wasn't finding anything worthwhile...the best pan I saw was (another) warped WWSO 8 that somebody wanted $10 for. I've already got another just like it so I passed. On what I determined to be my last lap before going home, I saw another guy that had the same skillet-just much cruddier. In fact, the "Wagner" and "0" were totally crud-covered. I pick it up to check it out and the seller starts to tell me how it is an authentic "Ware" skillet that was made in Australia (Sidney...must've changed the spelling) and that we don't see too many Australian skillets down here in the south. I just thanked the man and went on, but something told me I should've set him straight on what he had. Maybe I will next time if he's still got it.

I wonder how long it took him to come up with that story lol.

Please let him know. I would hate for someone to buy it thinking they have an Australian skillet. They are already 'down under' by living in the south lol

I'm not trying to talk bad about the the south. I'm currently living in Georgia.

Doug Evans, The same as you, I got my laps in at my local flea market today. The only thing that followed me home was a #9, three notch Lodge skillet that I will clean up and give to a friend that has been wanting a good user skillet.

Wow. I'm still trying to find a #9 at a decent price. Not having great luck. A #4 would be better though. Still on my wish list.

Re: Funny Story from the Field...or, Should I Have Told Him

The only 9 I've ever found was an unmarked Griswold "7 series" that was (for some crazy reason) chromed. Unfortunately the chrome is all worn off the inside except for the top half-inch or so. I've used it a couple time and it worked flawlessly. Not a collector piece by any means but will be one of the last I ever part with.

Sometimes when you share your knowledge about a piece with a vender in a nice way, they pick up on the fact that you are a collector and start up a conversation so they can learn. Answer a few of their questions and many times they will feel generous and cut you a great deal. You do have to use wisdom and know when to use this to your advantage and when to keep your mouth shut! :chuckle:

Back