Your Go to Guide

BrentS

I fairly new to cast iron and see their are a few different guides and books on Cast iron. I'm currently reading the blue book for knowledge and for a pricing ..... Some things seem pretty cheap compared to what I'm seeing what people are asking. I know some price this stuff as gold.... Just curious what the best book to be reading....

Im of no help on which book is best. You will learn a LOT on this site, and The BB pricing I have no clue. Collecting to me is the most educational of ways to learn.

Never go by asking prices on eBay, only "sold" (not just "completed") listing prices. The BB is the latest of the guide books to have undergone a revision, but even that's been over 5 years ago, and it didn't appear the edition included updates to its previous prices. Even so, the relative differences in the prices between different sizes and markings can still be an indicator of what's rare or more valuable and what's not.

Thanks for the reply guys… I am currently reading the bluebook that I inquired from the library . I wanted to give it a good look over before I decide to go ahead and purchase a copy for myself . I know from reading the book that some pieces have a lot more value and rarity than others but, would you say in the last five years since this book has been published that the price of cast iron has gone up in value overall or is cast-iron on the decline? I just think as the baby boomers start to retire and pass on that their kids and grandkids will have to liquidate their collections and estates. That a flood of old pieces that would normally have been handed down are actually hitting the market instead. It seems we’re living in a microwave oven society (quick and easy) and people have gotten away from using their cast iron pieces. (With the exception of this group ) With all of the glass top stoves and other modern electric cooking appliances, that they (our grandkids) would rather use modern day cookware for Light weight and easy dishwasher clean up instead of taking the time needed to learn and care for cast-iron. But that’s a whole Nother topic for discussion.

Back