Banana bread in new Lodge LP

SpurgeonH

I picked up this loaf pan at the Lodge factory store a couple of weekends ago. I did not season it, just went with the factory seasoning. The pan was in their "defect" section.

Tonight I made banana bread for the pan's maiden voyage. I think I baked it a couple of minutes too long. It was good, but a little dry. Of course, when any of my baking recipes go wrong, I always blame it on having to use gluten free flour. Ha! Or, it could have been, I only had two bananas and probably needed three. Also, my wife wanted nuts in it and all I had was fairly fine ground pecans. Larger pecan pieces would have worked better.

Looks great! We love banana bread and I've been contemplating getting a loaf pan, guess I need to do that after seeing your post

I find it interesting that your loaf was overcooked as I also found that my loaves cooked faster than expected the first time I used these pans.

Ps I'm a little jealous that you got yours at the factory outlet as I had to pay retail for mine...

Pps Jeffrey these are highly recommended.

The bread looks good Spurgeon. I may have to break down and buy a piece of Lodge iron--I've never found either a Bundt pan or a standard loaf pan "in the wild." I think you just sold me on the Lodge bread pan!

Sharon, I saw a Lodge loaf pan in a thrift store for $8. I passed on it, knowing I was going to be at the factory outlet a couple of weeks after that. I figured I could get it cheaper at the store. Nope. I had to pay $9-something at the store. I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. If one loaf pan is good. Two would be better! Ha!

Spurgeon it seems when I bake with CI it does cook faster than with other types of cookware. I'm guessing it's the dark iron color like in glassware light & dark
I always check before the expected done time and most times pull it early.

Now you have me back thinking about banana bread, and I do have some blueberries in the freezer. That might be a good combination?

My guess is it would continue to cook in the pan longer than in a glass pan, or especially an aluminum pan, after you took it out of the oven....

Further comment: My hubby came home today and said he had seen a large display of new Lodge CI; he said "That looks awfully rough..." Oh well, I've tried to explain, but nothing like the personal experience to drive the point home.:eek: He really is used to seeing and using my "old" stuff. However, I'm still thinking of buying a Lodge bread pan! Sometimes you really do need more than 2 pans to make bread.

My guess is it would continue to cook in the pan longer than in a glass pan, or especially an aluminum pan, after you took it out of the oven....

Donna. The recipe called for letting it cool by setting the pan on a cooling rack. I'm guessing the author of the recipe didn't plan on my using a cast iron loaf pan. Ha! I took the loaf out of the pan to let it cool. It popped right out. No sticking at all.

Donna. The recipe called for letting it cool by setting the pan on a cooling rack. I'm guessing the author of the recipe didn't plan on my using a cast iron loaf pan. Ha! I took the loaf out of the pan to let it cool. It popped right out. No sticking at all.

You sold me, I need to own 1 or 2 of these

Back